Hail Colorado!

Keeping the DC40 in our sites, our next stop is Colorado. Sending out light and love to this great state. If you'd like to join us in our journey post your comments here or head over to the Facebook group "What Makes Your State Great". I know I've learned quite a bit about our wonderful history.

To see my facts/trivia resource and to learn more great things about Colorado check out 50.states.com.

Hail Colorado!

www.lewallpaper.com
On my trip from Norfolk Virginia to San Diego California, I drove through Colorado. I was driving along a flat road and all of a sudden a giant wall was head of me. It was the mountains. I have seen mountains before, but NOTHING like this. These are real mountains! I stopped for the night in a hotel and got up early the next morning to continue on my drive. I noticed that the fog was really thick, I drove and drove. I looked over to my left and saw a straight down drop. I wasn't in flog folks, I was in the CLOUDS! Loved my trip, what a great place to see.

Colorado contains 75% of the land area of the U.S. with an altitude over 10,000 feet. The United States federal government owns more than 1/3 of the land in Colorado. Colorado has 222 state wildlife areas.

www.scoopweb.com



The Dwight Eisenhower Memorial Tunnel between Clear Creek & Summit counties is the highest auto tunnel in the world. Bored at an elevation of 11,000 feet under the Continental Divide it is 8,960 feet long and the average daily traffic exceeds 26,000 vehicles.

The Colorado Rockies are part of the North American Cordillera, which stretches 3,000 miles from Alaska, through western Canada and the United States, into northern Mexico. The centerpieces of this dramatic uplift are the peaks over 14,000 feet, or "Fourteeners", as they are affectionately referred to by climbers. There are 52 Fourteeners in Colorado.

Mesa Verde features an elaborate four-story city carved in the cliffs by the Ancestral Pueblo people between 600 and 1300 A.D. The mystery surrounding this ancient cultural landmark is the sudden disappearance of the thousands of inhabitants who created the more than 4,000 identified structures. The Anasazi for example.

http://www.native-languages.org/utah.htm



Some of the original inhabitants of Colorado are:
The Apache nation
The Arapaho nation
The Cheyenne nation
The Pueblo tribes
The Shoshone tribe
The Ute nation

Colorado is truly a beautiful place. Below is a preview of a video added by the Auaria Library in Denver, featuring some of the native tribes.

1 comment

AmethJera said...

I used to commute from the East Coast to Colorado regularly. The drive from Denver to Aspen is spectacular. I used to always get a sandwich and a soda before going through the Eisenhower Tunnel- it's always backed up there on I-70, and it's the longest part of the trip. The mountains and canyons are a marvel. The drive at night is treacherous, but seeing the diamond sky is SO worth it!