Hail West Virginia!

Last week we spent in the west. This week we're headed back to the eastern side of the US and visiting the great state of West Virginia! If you're interested in chatting about the states, please join us on Facebook in our group called "What Makes Your State Great".

Most of my facts come from 50states.com.


www.wvbedandbreakfasts.com/travel-planner.php


Hail West Virginia!

West Virginia is considered the southern most northern state and the northern most southern state. West Virginia has the oldest population of any state. The median age is 40. The first major land battle fought between Union and Confederate soldiers in the Civil War was the Battle of Philippi on June 3, 1861.West Virginia's nickname is the Mountain State and its motto is "Mountaineers Are Always Free."

www.wvencyclopedia.org/articles/1833

The world's largest sycamore tree is located on the Back Fork of the Elk River in Webster Springs. Nearly 75% of West Virginia is covered by forests. On September 10, 1938, the Mingo Oak, largest and oldest white oak tree in the United States, was declared dead and felled with ceremony.


http://www.gettysburgghosts.net/moundsville.htm


One of the nation's oldest and largest Indian burial grounds is located in Moundsville. Its 69 feet high, 900 feet in circumference, and 50 feet high. An inscribed stone was removed from the vault and is on display at the Smithsonian Institute in Washington, D.C. The Moundsville Penitentiary is said to be built on a Native American burial ground.

http://www.wvculture.org/arts/ethnic/native.html




The original inhabitants of West Virginia are:
The Cherokee tribe
The Shawnee tribe
The Tutelo and Saponi tribes

A rich beautiful land, West Virginia is home to a great people and to images of our country that cannot be found any where else. The mountains and streams there cannot help but lead one to know that nature is alive and magic is all around. Some of that beauty lies in the burial mounds and in some of the structures that we do not even know the origins of. This video shows rock cairns found on a rural West Virginia farm.





Sending light, love and protection to the great state of West Virginia.

Namaste & Blessed Be!
Sosanna
)O(

3 comments

Joyce Meyer said...

I just moved back to WV. I spent my first 26 years here, my middle 25 years in Maryland and now intend to spend my next 30 years here! The country side is just beautiful, I have come in time for the amazing fall colors. Thank you for the post and the blessings!!

Joyce Meyer
JAMeyer.RN@gmail.com
Keyser, WV

Alexis Kennedy said...

I have had so many magical experiences in WV it isn't funny. To say that the spirits of the land and the people are strongly connected is an understatement, to be sure. Thanks for sharing the cairns video. I've seen them all over the place :)
I miss home, now.. *sigh*

Sapphire said...

Thanks for mentioning Moundsville! I didn't put it in my blog post. I mainly focused on things in my area and how I felt about my state :) I do love it so!