Meatless Monday - Duo Grilled Cheese




Over the years I’ve had many grilled cheese sandwiches.  Starting with the commodity cheese my mother would get from the social services to the six cheese Tuscan grilled cheese at Mimi’s in San Diego the gamut of the grilled cheese is undoubtedly the widest of any sandwich.

From a vegetarian prospective this would be considered a Lacto-Ovo Vegetarian dish.  Meaning we do use ingredients from animal sources and would not be suitable for a Vegan.  I have found that eating processed foods, or foods with GMOs is more harmful in my opinion.  So I would be willing to eat cheese, which is an animal product, but avoid Tofu that’s non-organic, with no animal contents due to the probability of Genetic Modification.


I like to slice the bread right in the middle and get four very even slices of bread.  My local market has Organic bread available so I use this.  My basil comes from my garden.  I had four large plants this year and was able to dry and save about 3 bottles.


Photo Credit - Renee Olson

 Ingredients

Two types of Cheese
Butter
Bread
Basil
Garlic Salt


Process
Grate together your cheese together.

Photo Credit - Renee Olson

Place the skillet on a medium high burner.

Photo Credit -  Renee Olson

Slice the Bread. (Doesn't have to be perfect)

Photo Credit - Renee Olson

Add a slab of the butter to the skillet.
Add two slices of bread on the buttered skillet.
Add the grated cheese to the slices of bread.

Photo Credit - Renee Olson

Sprinkle Basil and Garlic Salt over the grated cheese.
Cover both with additional slices.

Photo Credit - Renee Olson

Cook until golden brown on each side.
Serve



Photo Credit - Renee Olson



This is one of my favorite dishes, either eaten alone or with a nice bowl of tomato soup.

Did you make this?  Have a new idea?  Let me know.

Namaste & Blessed Be
Sosanna
)O(

No comments