Meatless Monday - Black Bean Tacos


One of my favorite dishes is Black Bean Tacos.  Hubby and I actually ate these every night for dinner for an entire year.  We don’t have them that often now but boy, these are really really REALLY good.

If you can always try to get organic ingredients for these recipes.  In my photos below you’ll see that sometimes I have organic and sometimes I don’t.  It really depends on what’s on sale and what is available at the market.
So let’s get on to the recipe.

Photo Credit - Renee Olson

Ingredients
Fresh Baby spinach
Fresh Avocado
Fresh Cilantro
Fresh whole tomato
Cheese (I use white because there are no dyes & Cabot because there is no rBST)
Raw Yellow Corn tortillas
1 can black beans
Red pepper flakes
Sour Cream


Photo Credit - Renee Olson


I start out by getting my beans on the stove
Add the chopped cilantro and the chili flakes to taste (careful with chili flake, I only use about ¼ of a teaspoon) Just warm the beans through, if you boil them they’ll get mushy.


Photo Credit - Renee Olson


Next I start my oil heating on the stove in a shallow fry pan.

Photo Credit - Renee Olson

While the oil is heating I grate the cheese


Photo Credit - Renee Olson

Chop the spinach and tomato
And prep the avocado

Photo Credit - Renee Olson


Photo Credit - Renee Olson


The avocado is removed from the peel and mashed up with a bit of salt. Avocado can be tricky to work with so here’s a video on how to remove the pit, fan and dice.


Photo Credit - Renee Olson

Using a pair of tongs, I take the raw corn tortilla shell and lay it gently in the oil.  I use the tongs to shape the tortilla in to the basic taco shell.  Traditionally these shells are simply warmed on a flat top and served but I like the extra crunch.  I also use this same technique to make my own tortilla chips.  Just cut the circles in half twice and you have little triangles that you can fry until golden brown and salt. 



Assemble all the ingredients and serve!





A couple of tips use a butter knife to coat the inside of the taco shell with sour cream and the avocado, and then add the beans.  If you do it this way you’ll get a nice bit of the mixture in every bite.  I add my cheese next so it melts over the beans.  I've noticed too, that using the avocado I use much less cheese.  

Win win!

Another wonderful Meatless Monday! 
Enjoy!

Namaste & Blessed Be
Sosanna
)O(

1 comment

Magaly Guerrero said...

Now I'm really, really, really hungry...