Pagan Blog Project 2013 - V is for Views

Everyone one has a different point of view.  Over the past few weeks I've noticed that when people express those views inevitably someone is called a bully.

When one person takes a stand and questions why others are not in the same physical shape, she’s labeled as fat shaming.  When a fat-activist responds to her post with a similar post she’s tagged with thin shaming.  When someone shares a photo of a grocery cart full of garbage food she’s tagged as food shaming.

Pagans are notoriously known as being accepting people.  A quick search on Google finds that generally speaking most Pagans are pretty accepting of most people.  Gays, lesbians, male, female, most follow perfect love and perfect trust motto.  They live and let live.  For the most part.

That’s not to say there are not folks with their questionable views.  There are pagans who are racist.  There are pagans who are sexist.  Just as there are Christians, Muslims and all religions for that matter, who fall into these categories.  Each having their own view and believing they are correct.

Earlier this week a car pulled into our driveway here at the farm and two ladies stepped out.  I was standing at the door and hubby walked over to the fence where our dogs were doing mad.  The lady reached out towards my hubby and started to talk about Jesus.

As I watched my hubby shake his head side to side to indicate that we’re not really interested in what she’s selling.  I felt angry.  I felt attacked.  How dare this woman come into my driveway, on my property and automatically assume that I needed her to tell me about her God.

I agreed with his statement by shaking my head in the negative and they both got back in the car and left.  After they drove away hubby and I chatted a bit about the situation.  I asked him how he felt about them coming to our house.
 
From his view, an atheist, he felt they were arrogant and rude.  They didn't know who we were.  They didn't know what we believed and yet they felt that they had to come to our property and push their views on us.
Then I thought about their view.  What was their view exactly?  What did they think they were doing?  I’m sure neither of these ladies thought they were trespassing.  I’m sure neither of them thought that they were offending us.  Does that make them bullies? 

I try to treat others how I want to be treated. I try to be honest, work hard and do the right thing.  I don’t steal, or take credit for other people’s work.  I try to make quality products in my shop and charge a fair price.  I try to help other earthlings, be they two legged or more.

I believe that we should take the time to remember that even though I felt angry because they were on my property.  I have to remember the intent.  I have to remember that they were not really trying to attack me.  In their minds they were trying to save my soul.  We have people in this world that do intend to do harm.  They do intend to be hateful nasty people.  I don’t think that posting a photo of yourself online and challenging others to work out, or answering that challenge with a rebuttal of your own is in anyway hateful. 
People need to learn to agree to disagree.  Understand that not everyone has your views.  Some of those views will be different from your own, be it Pagan view or a Christian view.  We need to understand that no matter what our views are, inside of us we are all the same people.  We bleed the same.  We breathe the same. 

I’m reminded of Namaste.  Namaste is a greeting, it is like saying good day, or I bow to you.  There is the belief that there is a divine spark located within each of us.  That spark is said to dwell in the hear chakra. 

Gandhi defined it as the following:
"I honor the place in you where the entire universe resides. I honor the place in you of light, love, truth, peace and wisdom. I honor the place in you where, when you are in that place, and I am in that place, there is only one of us."

Blessings
Sosanna

)O(

No comments