Calling a Spade a Spade

When I was in my 9th grade creative writing class I remember each morning the teacher would have us all write a paragraph.  It could be anything we wanted to write about.  When I handed her my assignment she circled a word and looked at me and said the following:
"Don't use a $50 word when a .50 word will do."
I've taken this with me through my entire life.  Basically what she as saying was, to call a spade a spade.   From Joseph Devin's 1910 book - "How to Speak and Write Correctly". (link)
"For instance, you may not want to call a spade a spade. You may prefer to call it a spatulous device for abrading the surface of the soil. Better, however, to stick to the old familiar, simple name that your grandfather called it."

I can honestly say that this has been my personal philosophy on life.  While trying to remain tactful, giving honest feedback when requested and providing my honest opinion about things has not won me a great deal of friends.  I've found that many people are not really interested in the truth or to know exactly what you're thinking about a particular idea.

More often than not what they are really looking for is a pat on the back, affirmation and move on.  There are a few out there that really want blunt, honest feedback.  These people know that when they come to me with questions or they want my opinion, I will not hold back and I will give them honest professional opinions about the item in question.

I also have a strong sense of fairness.  I do not like to see people picked  on or bullied by someone else.  I do not believe in running down other people behind their back.  If you have an issue with me, come to me. Talk to me directly.  Don't post some crazy status message or blog post about it.  Don't run your mouth to my friends behind my back.  When I see someone running another person down, I'm going to say something. Just as I would expect any of my friends when approached with lies or gossip to stand up for me.

"Being honest may not get you a lot of friends, but it'll always get you the right ones"
- John Lennon

Calling out someone isn't always going to win you friends.  In fact, I personally have experienced ridicule, gossip and blackballing because I stood up to someone.  I was tagged "mean girl" because I said, NO, you're not going to say X about X and be unchallenged.

And I'm OK with that.

Blessings
Sosanna
)O(

No comments