Throwing Thursday - Kaboom

I've been reading several sites that say have separate shelves for your different types of pottery. Greenware, bisque ware and so on.  Today even after thinking I had a handle on it I learned the hard way how important it is to keep your pottery separate.

At first I thought my Goddess statue had exploded due to size and thickness but upon further inspection I figured out what actually happened.  Earlier this week I threw three new pots.  I set them up on the shelf with my other pottery that was waiting for bisque fire.  This morning hubby and I were chatting and unloading the glaze fire that had just finished before coffee.  (Yes, I'm blaming lack of coffee)  In any event I inadvertently put the three new pots that were only 3 days off the bat into a kiln of bone dry pottery.  What happens when you put pots that are not properly dried into a bisque fire kiln?

Photo Credit - Renee Sosanna Olson

Photo Credit - Renee Sosanna Olson

Photo Credit - Renee Sosanna Olson

So now, going forward, I will have one shelf that is only for items that are bone dry.  Period.

No comments