Re-Post - Mulengro - Deceit

I've been participating in a book club reading the book Witchcraft Theory and Practice by Ly de Angeles.  Thus far there has been a great deal of introspection.  Understanding my own motives and my own responsibility for what I bring into the world.

I thought it might be interesting to do a few blog posts around the seven faces of mulengro and see how they play out not only in the magical world but also the mundane.


Mulengro is the name of an entity that is like an alien barb; one that has become an out-of-control arrow that pierces generation upon generation with its poison. It feeds on its own likeness and people are its hosts.  - Ly de Angeles - Witchcraft Theory and Practice pg 29



Photo Credit - Google Search

synonyms: deception, deceitfulness, duplicity, double-dealing, fraud, cheating, trickery, chicanery, deviousness, slyness, wiliness, guile, bluff, lying, pretense, treachery; informalcrookedness, monkey business, monkeyshines

antonyms: honesty


Deceit has to be the one face of mulengro that I can say honestly makes me crazy.  I never fully get why people have the need to lie.  Deceit is pretty much lying.  I am one of those people who believe that if nothing else you can always tell the truth.  The truth is not always pleasant.  It isn't always what you want to hear.  Sometimes the truth hurts.  However it doesn't change the fact that it is the truth.

A few years ago I got into a discussion about "truth tellers" with someone on Facebook who said to me (well typed to me) "You use the truth as a weapon to hurt others."  Now let's look at that for a second.  Granted there are times when I have said things a bit harsh.  I tend to be a bit over zealous. I'm not hateful about it though.  I'm not going to walk up and tell you that that dress makes your ass look big.  But if you ask me, I may say that, I don't think the dress is flattering to your figure.

But if you create a training platform and want professional feedback, or want an honest opinion about something and not someone to blow smoke up your behind, then I'm your gal.


So back to my "truth teller" discussion.  She said to me, "You use the truth as a weapon."  For the longest time I walked around thinking, I don't use it as a weapon. I don't attack people with it.  I don't hunt people down with it.  I use the truth as a way to combat deceit.  Then it hit me!

The reason my "truth teller friend" saw my truth as a weapon was because her lies were a shield.  She was creating a defense based on a lie and in this instance yes, my weapon of choice was indeed the truth and it would destroy the lie every time.    I still smile a bit when I think about how poetic this whole thing turned out to be.

Honesty is the antonym of deceit.  I do everything in my power to always approach life with honesty. Honesty in my relationship with others and in my relationship with myself.  I don't offer what I cannot afford to lose.  I do not give when I cannot do without.  Understanding that others can and will deceive you is tough for those of us who spend our days working in an honest state.  Learning that it can happen and refusing to participate in that is a tough lesson to learn.

Recently I had a situation where another acted unjust to me.   In a neutral setting, what should have been something strictly professional, the other person brought in their mulengro and removed things that belonged to me.  I felt angry and hurt that they did not have the ability to act professionals and set aside differences for a mutual cause.  I was reminded that not everyone sees the world the way I do.  I was reminded that even though I see an obvious divide between business and professional. Public and private.  Right and wrong.  Others may not see that same line or they may choose to ignore that line.  I cannot expect (expectations again) others to act or react the way I would.

It is still a learning process.  I don't think I will ever get to a point to where I cannot learn something new.  I always want to be in the learning/growing state, honestly.


Original Post - http://confessionsofamodernwitch.blogspot.com/2014/11/mulengro-deceit.html

No comments