Re-Post - Mulengro - Expectation

I've been participating in a book club reading the book Witchcraft Theory and Practice by Ly de Angeles.  Thus far there has been a great deal of introspection.  Understanding my own motives and my own responsibility for what I bring into the world.

I thought it might be interesting to do a few blog posts around the seven faces of mulengro and see how they play out not only in the magical world but also the mundane.    I'm starting in no particular order.


Mulengro is the name of an entity that is like an alien barb; one that has become an out-of-control arrow that pierces generation upon generation with its poison. It feeds on its own likeness and people are its hosts.  - Ly de Angeles - Witchcraft Theory and Practice pg 29

Image Source - Google Search Result
synonyms: supposition, assumption, presumption, conjecture, surmise, calculation, prediction, hope

antonyms: astonishment, consummation, despair, doubt, doubt, dread, enjoyment, fear, realization


I think of all the faces of mulengro I have studied to this point, expectation has to be the most difficult for me.  I am guilty of placing expectations on others.  Generally I am a pretty positive and motivated person.  I try to get things done in a timely matter.  I give everything I do 100% and do what I can to make sure that everything I put out there is strong, positive and complete.  I also do not expect anyone to do anything more than what I would do.  There in lies the problem.  When I expect people to work on my schedule I run into issues.  Not everyone is online as much as I am.  Not everyone likes to get things completed as early as I do and not everyone sets such high expectations for themselves.

This has led me into issues dealing with other witches in the community.  There are some in the community that I have issue with.  Generally those that lie or those that try to pit people against one another.  I like to call them shit stirrers.  These types and I mesh like oil and water.  I deal with them directly and expect them to deal with me in a similar manner, but alas they do not.  These are the passive aggressive, vague status message posters or the ones that like to run you down with you blocked so you can't see it, but they can appear to be ballsy to their friends.  My aversion to and desire to call bullshit on their antics has put me in the "mean girl" status many time.

I also expect people to behave professionally and in an adult like manner.  You can see where that is an obvious fail.  :P

I've learned that I cannot hold others up to what I would "expect" myself to do in situations.  I have to learn that others do not have the same guidelines, goals or expectations of themselves and my desire to have them behave in a certain way is inappropriate.

However, I often wonder if the fact that I have no expectation of them but to behave how they would behave is an expectation in itself.  Meaning, X has lied to me in the past.  I expect X to lie to me.  X tells me a lie.  I am not surprised.  By not being surprised by X's lie, isn't that an expectation that X will lie?  

And is there a point does expectation actually protect us?  

X has stolen from me in the past.  X wants to come to my house.  I know X will steal.  I don't allow X in my house.  My items are safe.   



Simply because someone has done something in the past does this mean they will do it always?  I think there is a point of gray within expectation.  We have to be able to protect ourselves while not placing an unrealistic result from our human interactions.


http://confessionsofamodernwitch.blogspot.com/2014/11/mulengro-expectation.html

No comments