T is for Trans Acceptance - Pagan Blog Project 2012

T is for Trans Acceptance

Back in February I wrote a post regarding Trans Acceptance in the Pagan Community.  The article contained stats like the following:


GLAAD (http://www.glaad.org) lists the following statistics:
  • At least one transgender person is murdered every month; and several more are assaulted
  • 55% of transgender youth report being physically attacked
  • Nearly half of young transgender people have seriously thought about taking their lives, and one quarter report having made a suicide attempt
  • More than half of transgender and gender non conforming people who were bullied, harassed or assaulted in school because of their gender identity have attempted suicide.
Even though Pagans are know for being open minded when it comes to sexual identity and does include LGB members, it would seem some of us have issue with the T.

For example, some followers of Dianic Wicca generally welcome lesbian pagans but close their doors to Trans women.  My understanding behind this rule is that there is a need for a sacred safe space where “female bodied” women to join together and conduct rituals for the Goddess.  This “safe space” needs to be free of any “male” energy that may make the members feel threatened.

This assumes that trans women, are "like" men or to push to the fullest extent "ARE" men.  I would like to think that others would let me live as I wish to live.  I know in my brain that I am female, if someone came along and said, you know, you don't wear makeup and you don't get your nails done.  Therefore you are not a girl.  That would be a huge deal to me.  Someone outside my brain cannot tell me what's in my brain.  And out of respect, please don't call me Sir!

I completely understand the need for a safe space.  I understand the need to protect a group from an attack. But to assume that only "males" attack or only "testosterone" causes attacks is in my humble opinion ignorant.  A woman can kill just as easily as a man.

I believe that we should treat others with respect and understanding.  We should reach out to those in need and we should take others as they present themselves until we are shown different.



Namaste & Blessed Be
Sosanna

1 comment

Anonymous said...

Yes, when it comes to transgender folks, I don't look at the body. I look at the person and who they are *inside*. This is a person who knows who they are, and is not limited by their physical appearance or biology. If a person in the body of a man identifies as a woman, then I accept them as a woman. <3