Modern Divination - Runes

 

Hecate's Blessing

Runes are based on an archaic German and Scandinavian alphabet, myth says that Odin discovered the meaning of  the runes as part of his nine day trial while hanging from Yggdrasil, the world tree.  The word rune is interpreted as to mean letter and secret.  He hung there forbidding any assistance until the pool from which Yggdrasil grew revealed the secrets of the runes to him. It is said, he gained the power to heal his wounds, to bind his enemies and protect his friends. He was able to gain lovers, banish malevolent magic and even wake the dead.

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Elder_futhark.png
Elder Runes - Wiki Commons

The translation of Hamaval

137.

I trow I hung on that windy Tree

nine whole days and nights,

stabbed with a spear, offered to Odin,

myself to mine own self given,

high on that Tree of which none hath heard

from what roots it rises to heaven.


138.

None refreshed me ever with food or drink,

I peered right down in the deep;

crying aloud I lifted the Runes

then back I fell from thence.   ----- MORE


Today many wade out in the murky waters of  life, hoping to glean the knowledge that Odin sacrificed for. One such reader is Maggie Cunningham. Maggie agreed to share her process and her inspiration for her journey into the mystical world of divination through runes. Maggie works in Rune readings and seership.

I presented Maggie with the following questions:


Q: How did you get started?

A: I saw my first rune book in the 1990s, I've been hooked ever since.  I have read for friends since then and began reading professionally in 2010.

Q: Explain your process for getting started with a reading.

A: I create sacred space and invoke spirit for guidance.  This is often my client's Disir circle (circle of guardian spirits in the northern tradition) but other guides do come through depending on the client.  I discuss the intentions for the reading with my client and then clear the rune bag to prepare the runes for the reading.  This ensures there aren't any residual energies in the bag that could cloud the reading and also let's the runes know we're about to read.  I then connect with my client while holding the runes.  The 'shape' of the reading comes through at this point.  Sometimes its a free form casting (throwing the runes upon a cloth) at other times a particular spread may come into my mind.


Maggie Cunningham - Casting Runes
Casting Runes - Maggie Cunningham
    

Q: How does the information come to you?

A: I combine kinaesthetic, visual and auditory information.  The runes tingle under my fingers so I know which ones to pick and the order to read them in.  I often see pictures as we are reading as well as hearing advice from the rune's themselves and the person's guiding spirits. 

Q: What other information would you like to share with my readers?

A: I am a northern tradition trainer and run courses on reading with the runes as well as using them for magics, healing and mysticism.  I also combine rune readings with birth runes work (based in runic astrology).

Maggie Cunningham - Rune Spread

I want to take a moment to thank Maggie for participating in our this exploration of divination via runes.  Be sure to visit Maggie at her website or via reach out to her via email at talk@maginrose.com.


No comments