Bone Songs Myth & Magic - March Theme - New Beginnings

 A New Beginning

March is simply renewal. Renewal of life and energy. We look to the Spring Equinox to usher in this feeling of revival to the sleeping natural world. We associate this time of year with daffodils and bunny rabbits. Our time of rebirth as the plants and animals around us begin to wake from the winter slumber and burst into new blooms, growth and life. But what about our own beginnings? How do we awake from our long winter’s nap to kick off our new beginning? What does this mean for our body, mind and spirit?  Let’s explore what new beginnings can mean to those from a holistic wellness perspective. 


With the changing of the weather the first thing we notice is that we can go outside! Outside is the source of so many healthy things for us as human beings. Starting with my personal favorite, sunshine. I honestly believe in previous incarnations I was certainly some sort of cold blooded animal. When I walk outside and feel the sun on my skin, I’m instantly soothed. I can feel the rays pouring across my body like the essence of life. I feel if I could curl up on a rock and just lay in the sun for hours my mind and spirit would be at peace. Sunlight releases serotonin which is referred to as the happiness hormone. This is why we see so much Seasonal Affective Disorder(SAD) in the winter. The lack of this all important hormone causes SAD and the sun can cause the return of this hormone making one feel revived from the long cold winter. The sun also aids generating the production of vitamin D, supporting bone health, lowering blood pressure, preventing disease, and promoting good mental health.


Along with sunlight, we have the added benefit of being outside in the fresh air. Studies have shown that being outside and in the fresh air around natural things, such as trees and water sources aids in overall wellness. Spending time walking among or simply looking at trees lowers blood pressure and reduces the stress-related hormones cortisol and adrenaline. This is a great time if you have the space to start a garden. From full sized yard gardens to small container gardens on a balcony or deck, getting in touch with nature is something that our ancestors needed to do in order to survive. Today is our technological world, we miss that important part of life. Digging in the dirt can improve cardiac health, emotional well being, increase vitamin B12 and reduce anxiety and stress. 


Watching those first sprouts come up from the ground is such a rewarding feeling. Bringing in new life, a new beginning and watching with anticipation as your garden comes to life with pollinators, grubs and either beautiful flowers as a feast for your eyes or yummy veggies for the table. 


But you say, Renee, I can’t grow things. I just don’t have time to garden.  I have allergies!


I hear you, I'm terribly allergic to bee stings, wasps and fire ants, all of which love to live at my house and always, ALWAYS find me.  What else can you do to work on new beginnings?


Other ways to look for ways to welcome spring could be as simple as starting a new hobby. Pick up a pencil and draw. Find things that bring you joy. You don’t have to be the next Picasso. You’re you! Do you! I’ve started doing Pilates as a way to reconnect with my body and feel whole. I’ve added this to my normal weekly exercise routine and have found it quite helpful in reconnecting with parts that may have gone dormant over the winter season. The entire focus for me, is just starting fresh, with a positive outlook and a cheerful demeanor. Make each day the best day I can have and focus on being fully here as much as I can.


I hope this finds you well and has offered some different ways of embracing new beginnings. You have the power to be happy and in control of your wellness.  Own it.


Namaste

Sosanna




Rev. Renee Sosanna Olson - RSM, PMI-ACP

Ordained Spiritual Counselor

Certified Holistic Wellness Coach

International Yogi Certification

Certified Crystal Master & Aroma Therapy Practitioner



Exercises


Journaling - Spend some time adding things to your journal like, how much time you’re outside. Did it help how you feel? What is the weather like and how is your mood? Are you able to feel a difference after a week? How about a month? Put all those things in your journal and refer back to them to reflect on how your feelings have changed with more exposure to the sunshine.



Create a Countertop Garden - Sprouting is a great way to add nutrition to your daily meals and add a little bit of wellness to your creative side. A small container and find a sunny spot in your house. Look for seeds such as broccoli, radish or even sunflowers and add them to the jar. Spend a few minutes a day rinsing and before you know it you’ll have fresh sprouts for your salad, or sandwiches. It is one of my favorite ways to add fresh greens to my food. You can find full instructions here - https://inhabitat.com/diy-how-to-sprout-seeds-and-beans-on-your-kitchen-counter/


Draw - Find a spot outside that you really enjoy being in. Sit with a sketchpad and pencil and just draw what you see. You’re not looking for perfection here. You’re looking for ease, comfort and calmness. Go back daily if you can, if not try weekly and just draw the same spot on each page. Note how you feel. Not your changes in not only what’s on the page, but what is within. Is this helping you? 


No comments