Sound Therapy - Childhood & Science

 Sound therapy has been around for decades.  I began working with sound for soothing while I was a teenager. I found an old cassette tape next to the road while walking to the store.  Our family was very poor and I did not have these types of things available to me on a daily basis.  The tape was pulled out of the cassette and looked to have been tossed from a car window.

I took that tape and wound it back together and was able to lay in my bed at night with an old cassette player under my pillow and played the tape over and over. I learned every word of the song, and used it to keep me safe in a home where there was no safety or sense of self.

Even earlier than that, as a small child, my parents would send me down to my grandmother's house to get this or that. It was a long dark dirt path to their house.  Fields of corn on each side, gently rustling in the breeze. The sounds brought visions of monsters walking in the corn while I made my way down the road.  I used to sing songs to the corn and to the energy around it to keep me safe.  I attribute my safe arrival to Charlie Pride and his song, the Snakes Crawl at Night.  This was a child's belief that when things were at play, they were not dangerous.

Moving forward, my love for music and the sense of protection it provided to me was instrumental in my desire to learn music. And is of course why I have a plethora of instruments in my home today.  My love of music is only outweighed by my equal love of science. I recall wanting to be a scientist throughout many parts of my childhood. I always wanted to know why and frequently took things apart to see how they worked. 

Sound has been used to heal for centuries in human society. We know that many tribal cultures connected the sound of the drum to the heartbeat of the earth and it was used in ceremonies for dance and pleasure as well as in ritual healing, cleansing as well as the welcoming of new life and departing of those who passed.  

When looking into those who have studied this field, even though this thought process is as old as we are the official study of it is relatively new. Even on YouTube there are those who will go into detail to explain the exact science around this practice.




One way to visualize sound healing is to look at sand bouncing on a metal plate next to a speaker. Or watch the ripples in water, when sound is played into it.  We, being over 70% water react much in the same way but on a cellular level.  Dr. Emoto, a leading scientist in this field demonstrated the effects of playing sound (positive/negative) on water and then freezing it, led to some remarkable findings.




This fascinates me. As I move forward on my sound journey, I am finding so much in this that resonates (pun intended) with me. I hope you are too.  



Feel free to share your thoughts in the comments or reach out directly over my chat link below.


Blessings

Sosanna



No comments