Is the Power of Positive Thinking Real?

 Is the Power of Positive Thinking Real? Well, what if I said maybe?  When we think about things today we often reflect on how we feel about the world in general. Are we happy? Do we have what we want?

Usually the answer is, I could be better.  I find myself doing that as well.  All around me I'm in a fact driven environment. At work we proudly proclaim we make fact based decisions. It goes without saying that with my love of science the facts are something I strongly strive for. The lifestyle I follow is a fact based lifestyle that is proved by the scientific evidence to be the best diet for over all health, wellbeing and longevity. I am solid in the fact based mindset. 

So all that being said, I find myself in a spiritual place that can sometimes have little to no facts. I am a spiritual advisor, I provide intuitive readings for clients and fully believe in the force of spiritual healing through the sharing of energy from one person to the next. 

I started on a change a month or so ago on cleaning up my language. I just wanted to not swear so much. I started tracking on a little dry erase board. A week or so later I started reading about the Toltecs and of course the book, The Four Agreements.  I ended up with a deep dive by reading 5 other books on the topic and several investigations on the author. Some claims that the book wasn't "real". It led me to think about all the places in my life where I tell myself to chin up, or say it will get better. Knowing this is a subconscious way of attempting to manifest a positive outcome to the current situation. 

Immediately I remember my own thoughts, 10 years ago or so where when I saw all the "Light and Love" folks on Social Media, I was immediately skeptical.  We even called them "Fluffy Bunnies" or something like that. Is that me now? 



My only answer is, perhaps. Do I think the author is on the up and up?  Is this positive thinking thing, real?

Again, my answer is perhaps. I think about all parts of my life and how facts rule the day. Yet, I play my bowls and I feel the energy coming from them and moving through my body. When I pull my cards I see the energy from the cards and can feel it move out to others. When I swear, when I'm grumpy and negative, I feel grumpy and negative.  When I stop swearing, when I stop waiting for others to like me; I feel better. I feel happy. 

To me this is very similar to the mindfulness movement, where we stop worrying about the past or the future (impeccable words, don't make assumptions, don't take things personally) and be present here giving all your attention here (do your best). I have been a devotee of Hekate for quite a while as well as following the teaching of Thich Nhat Hanh so this is very familiar to the practices I already keep. 
With Hecate I try to follow the five virtues.  With my mindfulness I try to remember that we all have suffering and do what I can to not cause suffering to any living being. 



As I began researching this whole topic my mind immediately bounced back to my "fact based" mindset and what I heard often on Dr. Greger's presentations about WFPB living was something called the placebo effect. This is something that happens in a scientific trial where a particular item is being tested. They will split the test group into two and one group will not get the treatment being tested and the other group will.  The group without the treatment is called the control. There are times where members of the control group will begin to improve as though they are getting the treatment. This is the placebo effect. A patient thinks that they are getting better because they are doing the action and therefore they get better.

So if we get better.  Is it real?  To me this is where the facts may not always be exactly what they seem.  Looking at the results,  what does the evidence show. If our intent when we go about our day is to be happy not hurt anyone, and we achieve that goal isn't that a success? 


I think we have to keep a logical thought process while we go through these types of self-help situations. We have to remember that we need to eat and have a place to live. We need to be mindful when it comes to our finances and our physical well being. We also can completely start each day on a positive note. With a positive affirmation.  We can be good to each other and do our best.  We can be polite and kind to each other and to animals.  We can be loving and caring and offer support without the expectation of reward. None of these things leads to harm and in most cases makes the giver "FEEL" happy. 

To me, Yes, yes it does.

What are you thoughts on this. Feel free to leave a comment or start a chat over on the chat icon.

No comments