Meatless Monday - Vegetarian Nachos




One of my favorite types of food is Mexican food.  I love cilantro and chilies.  The bold flavors and savory cheeses are amazing.  I like the zesty flavors without the smoking hot spices that many restaurants add to their food.

It’s also one of the easiest cuisines to make vegetarian.  This recipe is a very versatile recipe and it can be modified in several ways. Meat can be added, Shrimp or different veggies.  You can also add rice to it and roll into a burrito, deep fry as a Chimichanga or covered with some red sauce and made into a play on an enchilada.

I do some simple things with my recipes to make them a bit better for me.  First, I only use white cheeses or those without any artificial colorings.  Next, I try to buy organics whenever I can.  Not only does it ensure that the product is Non-GMO but it also takes care of the BPA that may be used in canned veggies.  

At times buying organic can be expensive, but when you weigh the costs of medical treatment and the amount of food you need to eat to be comfortably sated, I believe it’s a fair exchange.

Ingredients


Photo Credit - Renee Olson

1 Can Organic Re-fried Pinto Beans – I get my organic canned veggies from Harris Teeter
1 Can Organic Beans – I usually use Black Beans but I was out, so I substituted Kidneys
1 Bag Organic Corn Chips – I get these from Target, they sale Blue, White and Yellow
1 Block of Monterey Jack Cheese – You can use any cheese here
4 Tablespoons of Sour Cream
½  Jar of Enchilada Sauce
1 package of cream cheese
½ Teaspoon  Chili Powder - optional
Fresh Cilantro - optional
Fresh Jalapeno - optional
Fresh Onion - optional

Process
On medium/low heat add the package of cream cheese to the pot and melt.
Grate the about 1 ½ cups of the cheese from the block and set aside.
Add the sour cream to the cream cheese in the sauce pan.
Open the can of re-fried beans and add to the sauce pan.

Photo Credit - Renee Olson

Add ½ of the enchilada sauce to the sauce pan.
Add ½ the grated cheese to the sauce pan.


Photo Credit - Renee Olson

Once the mixture is melted, open the can of beans and add to the mixture.
If needed use the rest of the sauce to thin.
After warmed through, add the optional items to taste.
Open the bag of chips and spread on a tray.
Spoon the “dip” over the top of the chips and sprinkle with cheese.
Serve.

Sometimes when I make this I prefer instead of serving on a plate as nachos, I leave the mixture in a bowl and use a dip.

Left overs can be stored in the fridge.  I like to make Curry a lot, so I usually have left over rice.  Adding the rice to the bean mixture and rolling in a flour tortilla is a great way to maintain a meatless diet but also a way of getting the most out of your dollar. 

Did you make this?  Have a variation on the recipe?  Want to share your own? Feel free to leave it in the comments or send me a message and I’ll post it here.

Namaste & Blessed Be
Sosanna
)O(







No comments