Pagan Blog Project – W is for Wreath

W is for Wreath



1. Something intertwined or arranged in a circular shape: as
   a : a band of intertwined flowers or leaves worn as a mark of honor or victory
      : garland <a laurel wreath>
   b : a decorative arrangement of foliage or flowers on a circular base <a Christmas wreath>
2. Something having a circular or coiling form <a wreath of smoke>

The history of the wreath is pretty interesting.  Wreaths originated in ancient Greece and Rome where members of that society would hand make ring shaped wreaths out of leaves, twigs and flowers.  These wreaths would we worn on the head and would usually represent the wearers position or status in the society.  Laurel wreaths were used to crown the winners of the Olympic Games.  The word wreath comes from the Greek word diadema which means a thing bound around. 

Today we have wreaths all year around, but traditionally wreaths were kept for Christmas.  There’s even a school of thought that says that Christians invented wreaths 1,000 years before Christ was born as a way to show the struggle of life through the winter months.

A quick search on Google will give you all sorts of wreaths.  From pine to dried willow wreaths can and are used to celebrate each of the seasonal holidays around the world.  Personally I prefer to have multipurpose wreaths that can do dual duty when it comes time to decorating.  And I've been known to dabble a bit in wreath making.  So when I get the itching for a new wreath I simply open up my closet and Voila!  New wreaths abound.

To date I've had several special order wreaths, which I gladly pack and ship around the US.

One of my Samhain Wreaths graces the doorstep at Mermaid Mansion and is owned by the lovely Mermaid Morrigan.

 

Photo Credit - Renee Olson

Known for her deep love of everything “Wreath” I've even had several of my lovely wreaths end up in the humble abode of the lovely Kallan Kennedy.

Photo Credit - Renee Olson

(Notice the Spider in Steeler colors)

A few of my favorite wreaths include this wonderful idea I had of a wreath that covers the entire year.  So looking at this photo you can see that my “Wheel of the Year” wreath actually starts at Yule on the top of the wheel and circles all the way around, stopping on each season with a flower, decoration or fruit that represents that particular season.  

Photo Credit - Renee Olson

Photo Credit - Renee Olson

Photo Credit - Renee Olson

Photo Credit - Renee Olson
I've got some with skulls for Samhain and Sunflowers for Litha, I've even got small butterflies and buttercups for Imbolc.  I always recycle my wreaths so each is made from parts of other wreaths or flower arrangements in order to help lessen our carbon foot print on this wonderful planet.

So in a way, my wreaths are not only circles abound or show the wheel of our seasons circling around them, they also represent our need to recycle, and re-purpose items in order to keep this lovely Earth a healthy happy place for us to live.

Here are a few of my other wreaths that I've created.

Photo Credit - Renee Olson

Photo Credit - Renee Olson

Photo Credit - Renee Olson

If you’re interested in your own Wheel of the Year wreath or a custom wreath please feel free to contact me directly, or click on the tab at the top of the page to see my Esty shop.

Namaste and Blessed Be
Sosanna
)O(

1 comment

Art fiend said...

These are beautiful wreaths, but I'd like to point out this is more than just dabbling. ;P