Meatless Monday – Sweet Potato Burgers



Back in February a fellow artist and dear friend of mine, Lorelie Gumbiner shared a recipe with me.  She runs Enchanting Elegance and creates some amazing stuff, I highly recommend her products.  The recipe she shared with me was for a veggie burger made from sweet potatoes featured on How Sweet It Is.

Hubby and I tried it out that very night.  It was a pretty easy recipe and it tasted pretty good.  After trying it their way we decided to get a bit creative and try it our way. 

Ingredients
2 medium Sweet Potatoes
1 Can Cannellini Beans
2 bulbs roasted garlic
1 Egg
Panko Bread Crumbs
Olive Oil
Sea Salt
Pepper
Onion Salt
1 ½ avocado sliced (optional)
Sour Cream
Plain Yogurt
1 teaspoon Maple Syrup
¼ cup organic wheat flour

Photo Credit - Renee Olson


We started out by baking the sweet potatoes in the oven.

Photo Credit - Renee Olson

Next we put two huge cloves of garlic in the oven covered them with olive oil and baked.  If you've never made roasted garlic before, here’s a great video on how to do it.





The Sauce
Pop out the little garlic pieces from the clove and mash up, I like to do mine really fine.

Photo Credit - Renee Olson

Combine the yogurt, sour cream and maple syrup in a large bowl then add the garlic in and mix.  

Photo Credit - Renee Olson

We added some onion salt and a dash of Worcestershire here.  Hubby likes his a bit spicier so adding a little bit of horseradish here would be a great addition.

The Burger
Put the peeled sweet potato in a large bowl with the mashed beans.


Photo Credit - Renee Olson

Now season this mixture as you would a bowl of meat for hamburgers.

Photo Credit - Renee Olson


I used onion salt, sea salt, some of the roasted garlic, pepper, an egg and some Panko breadcrumbs.  I had to double up the breadcrumbs because the burger was really soft.

Photo Credit - Renee Olson

After allowing them to rest in the fridge for about 15 minutes, add to an oiled frying pan and cook for about 4 minutes on each side. 

Photo Credit - Renee Olson


The original recipe called for a bun and some veggie toppings; we don’t usually eat bread unless it’s homemade so I opted for just the patty with the sauce and the avocado.  The first bite was a little odd, so I removed the avocado, the texture just wasn't working for me.  But the rest was very good.

Photo Credit - Renee Olson


We had loads left over so hubby ended up making it a couple more times and we changed it up a bit by adding some chopped spinach to it.

Over all it worked out really good.

Have a recipe to share?  I’m always looking for new ways to keep my vegetarian diet new and exciting!  Just send them over to me at Sosanna@sosannascloset.com or leave me a comment here.

Namaste & Blessed Be
Sosanna
)O(

No comments