Wands on Wednesday

So last month I got a dremel!  I am really excited about all the wonderful things I can make with it.  One thing that I can now do is sand my wands a bit quicker.  I tend to make very simple wands.  I like to see and feel the wood.  Some prefer ones a bit more fru fru.  Wands are like hair color.  Everyone has a shade or style they like best.

To make a wand you'll just need to collect items you like.  Some stay way from an Elder wand because some believe it is sacred to the Goddess.  With all the different Gods and Goddesses out there I'm sure you can find a type of wood you like.  I try to use wood that I collect myself.  I have lots of trees on the Sanctuary property so I have lots of choices.  I recently planted a willow tree.  I'm excited for it to mature to see what I can get from it.

I wanted to share a few wands with you that hubby and I finished up this week.  Again, these are just some wands that we made here.  Your wands will vary based on style, decoration and dedication.

I start by selected the best pieces from the pile I collected.

Photo Credit - Renee Sosanna Olson

Sometimes I have help with my selections. 

Photo Credit - Renee Sosanna Olson
Next, I remove the bark.  I did this with a pocket knife before.

Photo Credit - Renee Sosanna Olson

But now I have my dremel!

Photo Credit - Renee Sosanna Olson
 Next we decorate.  We put crystals on the ends or in the middle depending on the look and feel.

Photo Credit - Renee Sosanna Olson
Photo Credit - Renee Sosanna Olson


Now let's look at the finished wands.  Before we talk about the decorated wands, these are a few that I made that are perfectly simple. Remember, these are magical working tools.   Sometimes jingly jangly things can get in the way of magic.

The first is Water Maple, the second Black Walnut and the third is Pecan.

Photo Credit - Renee Sosanna Olson

Photo Credit - Renee Sosanna Olson

Photo Credit - Renee Sosanna Olson


This first wand is made of fig.  It has a quartz crystal on one end and a kyanite point on the other.  The ends are covered with red and black rawhide and purple feathers with small bells.  This one was created while Hubby was listening to Shamanic Journeys.  He applied the rawhide and feathers with focused positive healing energy.  This one turned out really well.

Photo Credit - Renee Sosanna Olson

Photo Credit - Renee Sosanna Olson

Photo Credit - Renee Sosanna Olson


The next wand is made from Eastern Red Bud.  I have a huge, and I mean huge one in front of our house.  In the spring it fills with these tiny little purple flowers and the bees go crazy.  You can hear the entire bush buzzing almost all day.  The tips of this wand have black rawhide around them.  One point is a quartz crystal and the other is a citrine crystal.  In the center of this one we did an inlay with a couple of stones.  We added moss agate, amethyst and petrified wood.  Of the ones we created with decorations, I really love this one.


Photo Credit - Renee Sosanna Olson

Photo Credit - Renee Sosanna Olson

Photo Credit - Renee Sosanna Olson

Photo Credit - Renee Sosanna Olson

The next one we did is also Eastern Red Bud but this time we added a pure Arizona Turquoise to one of the tips offset by a stunning quartz at the other end.  We wrapped both ends with black rawhide and added some wood beads that hold on some brown hen feathers.  The features are collected from my hens here on the property.  When I go collect the eggs, sometimes I find feathers on the ground and in the nests.  I like to use them when I can.  They added the final touches to this wonderful wand.


Photo Credit - Renee Sosanna Olson
Photo Credit - Renee Sosanna Olson
Remember wands are very personal item.  They can be made of whatever you want them to be.  They can even be made from wood and hot glue.

Don't let anyone tell you that you cannot make your own wands.  I believe some of the best items on my altar are items I created with my own hands.  It has to speak to you.  Be it from your own creation or from the creation of someone else.

Blessings
Sosanna
)O(

No comments