The Heron's Visit

There are times in my life when I know that the world is trying to tell me something.  Over the past three – four years I've been working on creating a Sosanna’s Closet.  This was intended to be a place where I could not only create things but also form a place in the world that people who respected the earth and the rights of other people could come together and celebrate life.  I wanted this place to have a spot for drumming and campfires and a spot for Wi-Fi and gaming.  I would bring together the both of the worlds that I love the most.  It has been a long journey to date.

With the support of my amazing Hubby, we have attended festivals in North Carolina and Virginia and participated in everything from animal rescue events to pagan fertility rituals.  Two years we wanted to broaden our reach and try working in a non-pagan event.  I asked to join a festival called “Pig in the Park” in Goldsboro.  Needless to say it did not turn out well.  I ended up doing a rant blog post on the whole experience.  I was so disappointed that I was told I wouldn't fit in their event.  It was a BBQ event.  It wasn't a bible study class.  

Recently I had a similar experience with another local venue.  I was hurt and angry.  Here yet again, no one pays attention to the donations and fundraising I do, but only to the title and tells me yet again, I don’t fit in.  I am so astounded by the number of people who simply reject people who are different from them instead of welcoming diversity.  But I digress.



After a mountain of negativity around it, Hubby pulled me outside and said, “Let’s go for a walk.”  We have five acres of land that our house sits on that will one day be that spot that I wanted to make.   That sanctuary to Hecate, who stands for justice, the one who lights the way with her torches illuminating the crossroads of decisions.  That will be my spot, my Closet will be there.  As we rounded the corner we could see the flood waters were up and just to one side I saw an amazing blue heron.

By Dori (Own work) [CC BY-SA 3.0], via Wikimedia Commons


Earlier this year I had a totem report prepared for me identifying my Above Totem as the Great Blue Heron.  The Above is where we access the otherworld.  The Heron is said to represent self-reliance, self-reflection and determination.  The Heron says, be confident who you are and trust your instincts.  The Heron signifies harmony in the self and overcoming barriers put before it.

I tried to get a photo of the Heron as it stopped in to visit me.   Each click turned out blurry but the message to me was very clear.  Be strong in who you are, be determined in your goals and do not allow another to tell you where you fit in.

I want to thank my dear sister Kallan who put together my initial totem reading and her being quick to offer supplemental materials when the heron appeared to me.  I highly recommend stopping in to her page Imramma and picking up one for yourself.



No comments