A Witch's View - Blue Apron Review - Tangelo & Honey Glazed Salmon

For the next few weeks I'm going to focusing on my diet.  As many of you know I have lost about 65 pounds since last year and I'm trying to refine the way I cook.  To accomplish this I have signed up for a trial of two food delivery companies.  My next three Witch's View posts are going to review Blue Apron.  Then I'll be switching over to GreenChef.

First a little bit about Blue Apron.  Blue Apron offers fresh non-GMO, sustainable seafood and meats with no hormones or antibiotics.  When you create an account with them, you are sent your first meal in about a week.  You can select your delivery days as well as your diet.  Unfortunately, they do not offer a vegan option.  I have an odd diet in that I eat fish but do not eat any other animal products. So some of the recipes required a bit of tweaking for me to eat.  They didn't have a non-dairy option at all and the majority of the vegetarian recipes included dairy.  When I contacted the company about this they apologized and said they did not have this change coming anytime soon. It was at that point I decided to go ahead and try out their first recipes but went on the hunt for something that was more fitting to my diet.  This is where GreenChef comes in.  I'll be talking more about GreenChef next month.

The first recipe was Tangelo & Honey Glazed Salmon with Farro, Apple and Crispy Rosemary.  It took about 30 minutes to prepare and runs about 640 calories.  The recipe was really easy, I was surprised how professional the plate looked at the end.

Everything comes in the exact measurements that you need to complete the dish.  Before you freak out about waste, Blue Apron offers a recycling program.

Photo Credit - Renee Sosanna Olson
 The recipe card has a photo of the finished dish on the front and a step by step guide on the back.

Photo Credit - Renee Sosanna Olson

The first step was to cook the rosemary.  I have made rosemary potatoes and such before but I have never fried it.  It actually was really good.  I was surprised.  While the rosemary was toasting, the farro was boiled in a pot of water with salt and pepper.  I had never tried farro before so it was an adventure.

Photo Credit - Renee Sosanna Olson
 The next step was to add the apples and the onions to the pan with some olive oil.  I'm not a big onion fan, but I promised myself that I would try the recipes exactly as they were written except for any animal products.  After the farro was finished cooking it was drained and these apples and onions were added to the pot and set aside to wait for the fish.

Photo Credit - Renee Sosanna Olson
 Next the pan was wiped out and more olive oil added. I put the fish in the screaming hot pan skin side down and left it alone for 5 minutes.
Photo Credit - Renee Sosanna Olson
 I then flipped the fish over and set the timer for another 3 minutes.

Photo Credit - Renee Sosanna Olson
 Next, I added the juice from the tangelo, water and this recipe called for 1 tablespoon of honey.  I substituted agave for the honey.  I think if I made this again I would use less water and probably more agave to make the glaze more glaze like.  It was a bit watery.
Photo Credit - Renee Sosanna Olson
 I spooned the juice over the fish and cooked it for the 3 minutes.  At the very end you add some apple cider vinegar to the farro mixture and plate it. The finished dish looked really pretty.  The toasted rosemary and the green tops from the scallions were added to the top for garnish.

Photo Credit - Renee Sosanna Olson
Over all it was a good dish.  I still don't care for onions. I would probably leave the green onions off the top of the dish.  The farro was tasty with the apples.  I think it needs that extra something to make it not be bland.

Next time we're making Laotian Vegetable Laab!  

No comments