Traveling for Business - A Witch's View

One of the things I dread most is traveling for work.  Each time I went on a plane, I would have to ask for the seat belt extension. The flights were crowded and the seats small. No one really wants to sit next to the "fat girl".

At the time of this writing I'm prepping for a trip to my companies home office.  I have worked for the same company for nearly 15 years and work remotely.  Over the years I have traveled to the office for special occasions, training sessions and product launches with the occasional visit for symposium.

Here are a few photos from those past visits.



This was one of my first trips with my company.  I went to Vegas.  Got an award.  :P This photo was taken in 2005.




This photo was taken just after a trip to Orlando in 2009.  I went down to work on site to help with an event my company was hosting.  My cell phone was stolen while I was there on day 1 of a 5 day trip. I was grump.  :P 




This trip I needed to go out and buy all new clothes for the trip. Needless to say I'm still completely terrified about getting lost, showing up for work naked (ok not really) and/or spilling coffee on the boss.  But at least that seat belt extension will be a fear that I can tuck away and never worry about again.


Here's the photo - Trip to Connecticut 2017.



Photo Credit - Elijah Olson



This year after getting myself healthy I've been struggling with the whole Eff your Body Standards campaigns. While I get that we want to be happy and healthy in the skin we're in, we also don't want to be promoting unhealthy behaviors or celebrating a disease that is killing us. A few years ago I had my DNA tested and it revealed that I was prone to obesity. My DNA makes it harder for me to lose weight, maintain a healthy weight and with that opened up the door for a lot of weight related illnesses such as diabetes, heart disease and stroke. I started at 250. Now this isn't the largest I have been. Before I had a gastric bypass surgery I was up to 305lbs.   Today I'm at 175lbs with a total weight loss (this round of weight struggle) of 75lbs.



Hubby found Dr. Furhman. We have changed the way we work with food and it is really helping me this time.


So what should I weight?  Dr. Furhman says the following:

Women: 95 lbs for the first five feet of height and four pounds for every inch there after.
Men: 105 lbs for the first first five feet of height and five pounds for every inch there after.

These are only rough guides since we all have different body types and bone structures - source

Currently I'm still obese according to the BMI at 33.1.  I will be here for a bit.  But then I didn't get fat overnight so why would I lose the weight overnight?

Screenshot-  https://bmicalculator.mes.fm
According to Dr. Furhman's calculations I need to weigh around 99lbs.  Should be interesting to see if I keep the negative foods out of my diet how close I get to that number.

Ultimately, you'll be able to tell where you should be based on how your body feels when you do day to day basis. Such as traveling for business.  Is it hard to get in the airline seat? (Yes, I know they are really small but just give me a second.)  Is it easier to board?  How about putting your luggage in the overhead?  How about buckling that belt?

Let me state clearly, you can be a full figured person and be healthy.  You can be a skinny person and be unhealthy. Only you and your doctor can make that decision. The only thing I can share with you is my experience and what I have seen in my weight loss journey.  And if I were given a degree for the years of study (or struggle) I have on this subject I would be walking around with a doctorate.

This post is not intended to body shame anyone. Take a moment and do a self assessment. Take what helps you from this post and leave the rest behind.


No comments