Pagan Blog Project 2012 - E


As part of the Pagan Blog Project 2012 we are asked to write about something using letters of the alphabet.  Our post should be related to Paganism in general.  I’m starting this project late so my first post is on the letter E.

I’ve thought about this all week and considered writing about energy, eclectic witch or elements.  I then thought about what’s going on in my life right now and decided that I would choose a different word.  This word is going to encompass all the words above.  My word today is Expectations. 

What are expectations? 

noun
1. the act or the state of expecting: to wait in expectation.
2. the act or state of looking forward or anticipating.
3. an expectant mental attitude: a high pitch of expectation.
4. something expected; a thing looked forward to.
5. Often, expectations. a prospect of future good or profit: to have great expectations.

So let’s look at this from the spiritual prospective.

As Pagans many of us are set with expectations from others around us.  Recently on FB a bunch of shared photos pointed this out quite literally.

Here’s one from The Internet Witch’s Page


We are presented with expectations from our families and from our support groups. Covens have expectations.  In general as Pagans we are grounded to our world through being in touch with the elements.  We feel the energy from the world around us and incorporate that into our daily lives.  We present others with this energy and send it out to make the world a better place.  Being eclectic in nature, even those with in a very traditional practice would still take from a wide range of sources and add those to the main pool of energy from which we all draw from.
Some expectations are those that we send out to others, be it our community leaders; and using this term I’m speaking about those we look to for their opinions on certain things.  Such as the recent events around trans women inclusion in Dianic covens or even thoughts around pagans offering services for hire.   We look to these bloggers, coven leaders, priest and priestess to provide a litmus test on what is or is not accepted by our community.  

Most of all I think we have self-expectations.  We expect ourselves to be a true representative of our deity.  We expect our lives to reflect what we feel inside.  The energy we project to be sent out in a positive protective way and the energy we receive to be the same. 
Recently some personal changes in my life had led me to rethink my expectations; those expectations that I had of others and those of me.  I’m working hard to center my energy and maintain that positive outlook that I do believe I’m known for. 

My expectations today are that I am able to continue learning about my world and give back something positive to the world in return.  I’ve started my year out with a dedication to follow Hekate, I am ending my post this week with a poem to her.

Namaste and Blessed Be
Sosanna
)O(

Hekate, Goddess of Darkness
I offer this to you
Honey & Garlic on your altar
Next to the wand made of Yew.

Hekate, Protector of Women
Guardian of the crossroads
As the black dogs howl
I am burdened by these heavy loads.

Hekate, Queen of the Night
By the dagger and the serpent
Advocate for those in need
And return to those all that is sent.

Hekate, the triple formed Torchbearer
As you guided Demeter to her end
I look to you for Strength and knowledge
Where the roads bend.

4 comments

Stephanie said...

Thanks for sharing. Awesome post. :)
Stevie

Alexis Kennedy said...

This is ... AWESOME. Love the Hekate dedication too!

AutumnGale Stargazer said...

Really good read! I never really stopped to consider how much these expectations DO impact both my magickal and mundane life...

Unknown said...

Terrific post and truly awesome poem! I love Hekate and was so pleased to see your heartfelt dedication to Her.