L is for Leek



I like the word leek for two reasons.  One, it’s one of the offerings suggested for Hecate and two, it’s also a Homophone.   That’s words that sound the same, but are spelled differently and have different meanings.

Such as Leek & Leak or Carat & Caret.





So for L this month, I’m going to leak a blog post on Leeks.


Each month on the 13th I create a dinner for Hecate.  I found several posts on the web it a typical menu for what they call “Hecate’s Deipon”. That’s just a fancy way to say Hecate’s Dinner/Supper.  Usually put out at the crossroads at night by torchlight and once placed, walk away without looking back.
Some typical offerings are sweepings from the house, garlic, eggs, leeks and things you don’t want to come back in the upcoming month.
I found an interesting quote on the reason for the meal.



Hekate Cult shares the following:

Aristophanes, Plutus 410 ff (trans. O'Neill) (Greek comedy C5th to 4th B.C.) :
"Ask Hekate whether it is better to be rich or starving; she will tell you that the rich send her a meal every month[i.e. food placed inside her door-front shrines] and that the poor make it disappear before it is even served."

I’ve never had a leek.  I’ve heard of them.  I’ve seen the Potato-Leek Soup but never heard of them.  I spent the last several months trying to find them.  Finally yesterday hubby came home with a big batch of Leeks.  We pulled them out and I smelled them.  Hrmmm Onion.

LOVELY!!

I hate onion.  I love the flavor but the feeling of crunching into an onion just…. Well it’s just awful.  So last night we made a big ole batch of veggie broth.  We used the leeks, some carrots a bit of celery and let it cook.  This morning I’ve got a batch of beans simmering in the pot of broth.  My house smells simply amazing.

So for this post I’m going to share with you my recipe for a simple vegetarian broth that can be used in the place of any stock.

1 Stalk Celery
1 bunch Leeks
1 bunch carrots
2 tbs of chopped garlic
½ stick butter
5 quarts of water

Directions
Clean all veggies.
Be sure to separate the leeks and clean out any sand.  Trim the leeks just above the white area of the plant and thinly slice.
Rough chop the rest of the veggies for easy straining
Melt butter in 6-8 quart pan
Add leeks and garlic to the melted butter and sauté
Add Carrots and Celery
Add water and boil for 2 hours on low heat
Remove from heat and strain
Using an ice tray, fill broth and freeze
Empty tray into large ziplock bag and you now have stock pieces on demand

I took one of the leeks and placed it on my altar with incense for the day.   After dark I took my torch (candle) and walked out to the crossroads and placed my offering there for Hecate, along with a list of those things I wish not to return next month.






Let’s hope they don’t leak back in.  ;)


So mote it be

Namaste and Blessed Be
Sosanna
)O(

PS Thanks to James for helping me fix my background!

No comments