P is for Peace



This has been a pretty crazy week for me.  As many of you know over the weekend not only did I break my toe (yeah I’m still going on about that) but I also had my grandmother’s 97th birthday, which I couldn’t go to and I hosted my first event at my house for Golden Phoenix Society.

The toe – yeah it’s fine, well not so much, it’s black and blue and hurts like crazy.

The party – she had a good birthday, I’m sorry I missed it.  I did take her flowers on Monday and spent some time with her.  I just thought it best to avoid any ‘drama’ with my ‘other family’ so I chose not to go.

My first GPS celebration - Great. I was nervous.  It went well though, I took a few pictures.  We had a bonfire and the next morning hubby found this:



This is a picture of the file pile, notice the one red carnation unburned.  I found it very interesting as this exact flower had been taken from the bouquet and singled out as being for Hecate, the deity I follow.  There was a roaring flame, so I can't image how it survived.  I've hung it to dry now and will put it on my altar.

The next day was Chick fil A day, and needless to say it was a mess.  There were people posting on Facebook and sharing pictures from the happy heterosexuals running around clogging their arteries with 400+ calorie sandwiches and a side of hate.  Along with lots of posts around what's actually being done with Chick fil a money.


On two different occasions over the past 2 weeks I have said the following statement:

I do not want to stop you from believing what you want.  Just as I don’t want you to try to stop me from believing what I want.  I want to live, worship and raise my family as I see fit, and you can do the same.  I do not believe in your God.  You do not believe in my Goddess.  I’m ok with that.  Why can’t you be ok with that?

On both occasions the “Christians” in question blocked me.  This leads me directly (or perhaps not so directly) to my post for the Pagan Blog Project 2012.


P is for Peace
peace noun \ˈpēs\

Definition of PEACE
1: a state of tranquillity or quiet: as
    a : freedom from civil disturbance
    b : a state of security or order within a community provided for by law or custom <a breach of the peace>
2: freedom from disquieting or oppressive thoughts or emotions
3: harmony in personal relations
4a : a state or period of mutual concord between governments
  b : a pact or agreement to end hostilities between those who have been at war or in a state of enmity
5—used interjectionally to ask for silence or calm or as a greeting or farewell

I’d really like to understand why, (and I’m going to use generalizations here, so please don’t be take it personally) Religions can't coexist.

Christians believe one way, Jewish people another, Muslim another and so on.  Why fight each other.  I mean really no one can prove their side is right without the “end of the world” in each of their minds, so why not sit back get your worship on and leave each other alone.  In the end, when your side wins, jump up and chant Nanny Nanny Boo Boo and be done with it.

We have so much more important things to deal with than whose God is the best.  Our oceans are being destroyed, our ground water polluted our food being turned into a chemical cocktail that’s making one in eighty eight kids born Autistic.

Look around, we are a strong species.  We’ve gone into space.  We can operate on ourselves and repair the tiniest nerve or the biggest muscles.  We can create life in a dish.  We are able to do so many great things yet we sit back, pull out our guns and knives and decide that we need to fight over whose has the biggest God.

Really?

When I was a little kid I remember the fighting and abuse in my home.  I remember the turmoil and the confusion I felt and the ultimate sadness that was my existence.  Then one year a little commercial came on TV and when I saw it, it made me feel “peace”.  Later I found that it wasn’t just a Coke commercial that it was an actual single. I’d like to share it with you now.



I would sit and plug my ears, rock back and forth and sing this song over and over in my head.  Trying to find that place where that group of people lived.  I wanted to be in that house furnished with love.

Even now as I sit here, I can’t help but think this is exactly what I’d love to have.  Tears in my eyes prove that no matter how many times I’m called a Christian basher, or a sinner; I know that deep in my heart my goal is to indeed, teach the world to sing in perfect harmony.

So this week’s post for the letter P, and my P is for Peace.



Namaste & Blessed Be
Sosanna
)O(

5 comments

Alexis Kennedy said...

Well said, sis. I couldn't agree more.

Aine O'Brien said...

Wonderful post. I completely agree and I too have felt saddened by these no-win battles. On the upside, I have noticed lately that many bloggers are posting about how it is about time to stop all the spiritual bashing. Now we may have a harder time stopping some of the people from more "organized" religions as this is part of their religious practice (to fight "evil" and to convert others) but we can certainly work to talk sense into the Pagans. I have noticed there is just a little less bashing amongst pagans who are convinced that their tradition/practice is the true one. This is a good sign.

I think this is partly because the internet is not new anymore and there are more people using it. In the beginning it was the place all the shit disturbers hung out, just itching for a fight and some of them loved to argue religion. Now we have just as many peaceful people online.

The universe just loves balance...

AmethJera said...

We should just leave one another alone and allow each to see the Divine as it is revealed to us personally. I'm all for civil discussions which are rare these days, especially on social media...rarely civil and rarely mere discussions. Mostly this leads me to want to be left alone, because the more we argue, the more I want to dig in my heels and hang on to my viewpoint...a very human characteristic, indeed. I don't like to argue. I'm finding that I'm better at it than I ever wanted to be, however.

Broken toes hurt like hell. I'm still complaining about mine a year later. It doesn't improve the condition of the toe, but it makes me feel better.:) Namaste

OathBoundSecrets said...

Wonderful post, thank you for sharing )O(

Vickie said...

What a beautiful post. Very well said and just one more reason I love you and am Blessed to have you in my life.

So, I was nominated for an award,and in turn I've nominated you! Here are the details:

http://www.aoibhealslair.com/2012/08/one-lovely-blog-award.html. Looking forward to reading your entry!