R is for Ritual



Ritual :  rit·u·al/ˈriCHo͞oÉ™l/

Noun:
A religious or solemn ceremony consisting of a series of actions performed according to a prescribed order

For the most part, all religions have some sort of ritual associated with them and Pagan religions are no exception.  Some Christian religions incorporate some of the following:

Baptism
Confirmation
Communion
Penance
Last Rites

For Pagans, the rituals are as varied as each branch.  These could include full moon/dark moon/new moon rituals, healing rituals, handing fasting rituals and the list goes on and on.

Here is an example of a healing ritual and a ritual of gratitude.





I take part in a yearly ritual called Hekate, Her Sacred Fires.  This is a yearly event take takes place on the full moon of May.



Over the last few years I've taken to having a ritual on Tuesday nights.  I also try to have a dark moon ritual for Hecate as well.  This is how I do my ritual.

I start out with a cleansing bath.  This is a great way to get into a meditative state and open your mind up to allow for the Goddess to communicate with you.  I use bath salts that include rosemary and sage.  This is a link to another idea for a cleansing bath.  I also begin the following playlist on Youtube.

After my bath I move into my altar room and cleanse the space with Sage stick and call the quarters.  Here's a link to how I call the quarters.

After I call the quarters I repeat the Invocation of Hecate.  


I close my eyes and visualize my question, my desire, or just my adoration of the Goddess while the playlist continues in the background.  If it is "Hecate's Supper" I'll create a door from my circle and carry out the offerings to leave at the Crossroads.

Upon conclusion I'll thanks the Goddess for her time and bid farewell to the Guardians being sure to thank them for watching over my circle.

I'll snuff out each candle in reverse order that I lit them and end with the Goddess Chant.


Every group has some sort of ritual and in this I've found a common ground to those that would attack us.  I know that my spell is a prayer.  It's no different than a Hail Mary, kneeling towards Mecca or placing drops of water on a baby's head.  We all have our rituals and the sooner we can learn to live together and respect each other, the better off this world will be.

Namaste & Blessed Be
Sosanna
)O(





1 comment

Lisa said...

This is beautiful. The healing ritual you shared from youtube caught me by surprise. I participated here and have tears of gratitude. Thank you. Thanks also for making ritual seem so much more doable. I have sort of avoided it for a long time, afraid of doing it wrong or of it being too fussy, but you're right, I've participated in many Christian rituals and it's very similar. Again, thank you.