Meatless Monday – It’s Breakfast for Dinner!



 Lots of time I use breakfast for dinner as a way to keep my diet “meat” free.  This particular recipe has eggs, so again, not strictly vegetarian but still not really meat.  I don’t use commercial eggs.  I have a hen house in the back yard with 3 hens. 

Photo Credit - Renee Olson



We pay about 15.00 a month on feed.  Now you can say, heck I can buy a lot of eggs at the store for 15.00 a month.  Yeah, you can.  However the way commercial hens are treated is horrible.  


As chicks the hens have their beaks burnt off.  This stops them from pecking each other in the close quartered cages.  They never have their feet touch the ground. They are kept in tight little cages their entire life.  The words ‘free range’ and ‘cage-free’ are all the rage right now, however I urge you to do your homework.  Those words do not mean what you think it means.

Now on to the recipe.

Photo Credit - Renee Olson


Organic French Toast
Ingredients
Organic Syrup
Organic Bread
2 tbs Cinnamon
1 tbs Vanilla
4-5 Eggs
Butter



Process
Take the eggs and crack them into a pan.  I use a glass bread pan.
Beat the eggs, cinnamon and vanilla together


Heat your pan to medium high and add a little butter
After the butter melts dredge your bread (which I cut in half) into the egg mixture

Photo Credit - Renee Olson
Place the bread in the hot pan
Grill on both sides

Photo Credit - Renee Olson



Serve



Photo Credit - Renee Olson

If you don't have room to raise your own chickens, or you live in an area that wouldn't take kindly to early morning clucking check your local paper, farmer's market or Craig's List to find someone that raises them in your area.  There is nothing better that fresh eggs.  They taste better and are actually the correct size and color.  It's really the only way to go.

Hope you enjoy!

Namaste and Blessed Be
Sosanna

3 comments

Anonymous said...

We plan to keep chickens too! We can't here, so we look for free range eggs. But once we're settled back in the U.S.? Heck yeah, we'll keep chickens (and maybe ducks) for eggs.

Mmm, I love breakfast for dinner too!

Salem Witch Child said...

We buy our eggs from an egg farmer. (Most of the time anyway). I didn't realize it cost so much to keep them! But I'm sure you get a lot more eggs than a dozen or two.

Anonymous said...

We really enjoy a mainly veggie and fruit diet here (well that is when I am cooking.;) But I have longed to have my own chickens/lots of them. We have five people in our family, three of which are children. So we would need enough in the flock to give to us enough eggs. What a blessing to be able to have your own fresh eggs. I love the french toast recipe. I have thought to make french toast with home made bread, but once I make the bread I find it to be a bit redundant to recook it. But, if we happen to save some for the next day, I would do this. Now store bought bread (on the other hand) we do make into french toast. Thanks for the recipe. :) Yum!