Pagan Blog Project 2012 - Y is for YOU


From Yeti to Yule writing with the letter Y from a pagan prospective can be challenging.  This morning I expect to see a lot of postings on Yule and Yuletide.  Some may dig a little deeper and take on Yu-Huang or Yarikh.
Personally I like taking words that aren’t necessarily magical or pagan and putting a spin on them.  Today we’re talking about YOU.  That’s right YOU.

During the holiday seasons many people, including myself, get sad and depressed.  Some folks with mental illnesses such as Bipolar Disorder experience highs and lows that sometimes cycle so quickly that their partners are not sure who is going to be getting out of bed today.  


Many have their very own bat they reserve just for this time of year.  They pick it up and repeatedly beat themselves down with it.  Until they see that they, YOU are important, they will always have pain and sadness.  I found out years ago that simple things like leaving notes around the house that have positive affirmations will go a long way in making YOU feel better.
Here are a few that I use:

You are beautiful
You are worth it
You are smart
You are funny

It sounds so simple, and on some levels very silly.  But it works.  These little notes will help you understand that you are a good person.  It will take away all those things that you heard as a child from your parents, or from a partner as an adult.  

Years ago when I started therapy, my doctor gave me a prescription that I still think is one of the most valuable things he ever wrote on a prescription pad for me.  Every day I had to call his voice mail and read a statement.  At first, I felt stupid for having to say this stupid thing in the machine over and over.  But as the days went on I found it extremely helpful.  It’s been over 10 years ago, so I don’t recall it word for word, but it went something like this:

Today I am (insert emotion).  This is just a feeling.  Feelings are temporary.  I know that I will not be (insert emotion) forever.  I recognize that I am (insert emotion) and that it is a part of me.  It does not make me.  I am positive that I will have good days and bad days.  It is up to me to make it what I want.  I am a great person, and I love me.

Even writing this out now, I feel that crash that I’m currently living in start to level out.  You can’t look to the outside to make you happy.  Money, cars, clothes; all these things will not bring you true happiness.  I’ve even seen messages today that say “God is helping me with X” or “If the Goddess Will it”.    No my friends, Gods and Goddesses are what YOU make them.  You give them their power.  Your belief in them makes them stronger.  God didn’t study for the test, YOU did.


Let’s give credit where it’s due.  YOU are amazing.

Namaste & Blessed Be
Sosanna
)O(

1 comment

Unknown said...

This is exactly what I needed to hear today. Thank you so much.