Pagan Blog Project 2013 - N is for Nudity

N is for Nudity

One of the most interesting things about paganism is how many people thing I spend most of my time naked.  I've been asked if I dance around a fire naked, if I walk in the woods naked and if I dance in the rain naked on more than one occasion. 
It’s one of those things that just makes me giggle.  I've only participated in outdoor rituals with a group twice.  I've never really seen anyone get naked it. Granted as I said it was only twice.  Now at home that’s different.


I don’t go outside.  First, I live in Eastern NC and there are TONS of mosquitoes.  I've had bites on my arms and legs but really, do you want to have bites on your tushie?  No.  So for the most part when I do my rituals I do not do them outside.  Occasionally when I need to protect my property, make offerings to the ancestors on Samhain or bless a new tree, I will go outside for this.
My weekly rituals are done inside my home.  I have a small altar built by my hubby set up facing towards the east.  I have candles and incense burning and I am indeed nude or sky-clad.

Many believe that practicing sky-clad makes it easier for the transfer of energy and a surge of magical power.  I’m not sure that I could practice in a group nude.  One of my earliest introductions into Wicca was via a friend who practiced nude.  In fact the majority of the time I saw her, she was nude.  I’m not sure it was so much for the Goddess but more so for her comfort level and I applaud her for the ability to feel so comfortable in her own skin.

Today I start my ritual with a bath and usually a glass of wine or other alcoholic beverage to ease the nerves, then begin by disrobing and starting my ritual cleaning of the space.  I’m sure if someone could peek in my window and see a slightly plump, slowly creeping towards middle age witch, walking around with a bundle of sage in one hand and a candle in the other, buck naked they’d probably call the law. To be sure I’m up to some mischievousness. 
    
The older I get the less I care about what other people think.  I know that I am comfortable in who I am and even though my feelings may be get hurt, in the long run this is what I have.  My body and my skin.  This is what I own.  When drawing down the power of the Goddess I choose to disrobe and welcome the energy though every space on my body.  I honor this energy by opening my body up to accept what can be drawn down from the moon.

If you've not had the opportunity to practice nude, I recommend trying it at least one time.  Not necessarily in a group, but as a solitary solute to the energies that be.  It can be quite refreshing.

Namaste & Blessed Be
Sosanna

)O(

No comments