Pagan Blog Project 2013 - R is for Rede


Rede is defined as counsel and advice.  So when we look at something such as the Wiccan Rede, it makes sense that is would be advice or counsel as it relates to Wiccans. (Wikipedia)
There is a full version and the short version being,

“These Eight words the Rede fulfill: “An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will”

Many people in the pagan community following this phrase and the full version of the Rede as the “law”, in that they take it that no harm should ever be done for any reason.  On the other hand, there are those that believe as we discussed in a previous post, “A witch that cannot hex cannot heal.”

For me, as a solitary and a Hecatean, I do not hold the Rede as law.  To me, my Rede would be a single word.  Justice.  To me, in order for there to be happiness, love, understanding and any other harmony in the world, be it magical or mundane, there needs to be Justice.
I've been interested in justice for many many years.  As a child I felt I was not heard, and I was hurt by those in power.  As a young mother, I felt as though my power was taken and no one was there to fight for me.  As a woman, I've felt that my place in this world was always set upon that gender. 

To me justice is very different than revenge.  As a young student in a paralegal program I quickly learned that there are indeed, many people in prison that are innocent.  I learned that things like the death penalty are not really justice.  They serve as no deterrent and no real way to provide justice to the family.  
  
I've spent my life since, doing what I can to do the right thing and to work to see that justice is served.  I've been accused of creating drama, and bringing in negative energy on some of my fights.  At times I feel like I’m jousting at windmills in some of these battles.  But I believe, that in the end you must stand by what you believe in.  You must stand up for those who cannot stand up for themselves. 

To me, that’s what it means to have a Rede, or a law if you will.  More directly I believe that the Wiccan Rede and my personal Rede is personal law.  Something an individual signs up for and holds themselves accountable for.  

I believe, that what you send out comes back to you.  With Hecate as my Goddess, I invoke her often to help me see what is unseen and to dispense justice.  What I send out, I am not afraid to have come back to me.  If you say what you mean, and tell the truth, generally you have nothing to hide.

Namaste & Blessed Be
Sosanna
)O(


No comments