Hail Columbia!

Over the last week or so I've been posting information that is related to several activities being worked on by several Christian groups in the US.

The main one in focus as of course Rick Perry's prayer vigil "The Response" that occurred in Texas yesterday, funded by the AFA which is listed as a hate group by the Southern Poverty Law Center. This group is headed by Bryan Fischer, who has graced us with the following quotes:

"Homosexuality gave us Adolph Hitler, and homosexuals in the military gave us the Brown Shirts, the Nazi war machine and six million dead Jews."
– Bryan Fischer Web post, "Homosexuality, Hitler, and ‘Don't Ask, Don't Tell,'" 2010

"Many of the tribal reservations today remain mired in poverty and alcoholism because many native [sic] Americans continue to cling to the darkness of indigenous superstition instead of coming into the light of Christianity and assimilating into Christian culture."
– Bryan Fischer Web post, "Native Americans Morally Disqualified Themselves from the Land," 2011

"Welfare has destroyed the African-American family by telling young black women that husbands and fathers are unnecessary and obsolete. … We have incentivized fornication rather than marriage, and it's no wonder we are now awash in the disastrous social consequences of people who rut like rabbits."
– Bryan Fischer Web post, "Jesus Groomed His Apostles for Political Office," 2011


Governor Perry's Comments are below:




I've been in two different Pagan Groups that wanted to come together for a simliar action that's being put together in reference to the Dominionist. This group, along with Rick Perry and the DC-40 event show that there are groups within the Christian faith that are working with the political and finanicial backing to get their deeds done.

What are their deeds?

1. Remove all non-Christian government officials
2. Remove the first amendment
3. Establish a government based on biblical law

This would remove many of the freedoms that we enjoy today. Namely the right to follow a religion of our own choosing and the right NOT to follow a religion.

Should we take these groups and their actions seriously? I've had several comments come my way on this. I'm hearing from the, "Ignore them and they'll go away" camp. I've heard from the "Hex their britches off" group and of course the "Send them love and it will fix it" group.

It makes me wonder that if this same selection of people walked up on a witch burning would they argue about which was the best method to put out the fire. Would we rant back and forth about using water versus a blanket? Would we say to each other, no don't use that water its not a good choice?

In my opinion, any action that is conducted with a goal of freedom and equality for everyone would be the right action. Be it a fire hose or a blanket both will help put out the fire, we just have to use them.


On this note I've reached out to a group called "Hail Columbia". Their mission statement is this:

"Our mission is to distribute information and coordinate events throughout the United States to help re-affirm the idea set forth in our founding document: that “Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof.” These words, the first sixteen words of the First Amendment to the Constitution, help to create the diverse society that gives rise to new ideas, accepts new cultures, and remains flexible in the face of an increasingly complicated world."

I've signed up as the Coordinator for North Carolina and welcome my follow readers to head over to their page and give it a good read. If you're able to, volunteer. No matter what your religious practices are, this group is focused on preserving our First Amendment rights. This should be something that we can all get behind. For questions you can access the web page directly, the Facebook Page here, or contact me directly and I'll be happy to assist.

Namaste & Blessed Be
Sosanna
)O(

6 comments

Alexis Kennedy said...

Well said, Sosanna. Threats against our freedom should be taken seriously. It's great that you are doing something about it!

Sosanna said...

Thanks for your comment Kallan. I must say I was inspired by you to take some action. Things are moving along nicely. I'm still new to all this so we'll see how it goes. So far so good tho.

thalassa said...

I just thought I'd share my new favorite quote (I figured you'd appreciate it!):

"Let us labor for the security of free thought, free speech, pure morals, unfettered religious sentiments, and equal rights and privileges for all men, irrespective of nationality, color, or religion;.... leave the matter of religious teaching to the family altar, the church, and the private school, supported entirely by private contribution. Keep church and state forever separate." Ulysses S. Grant's Speech to G. A. R. Veterans, at Des Moines, IA 1875.

Also, I totally agree...and am one of the volunteers as a coordinators in the state directly to your north! Hello neighbor!!

Sosanna said...

LOVE IT! Thanks for sharing this ... I see it appearing on my FB status in the near future! Hello neighbor! :)

Thanks for your comment and blessed be!

Jes said...

"First they came for the communists,
and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a communist. Then they came for the trade unionists,
and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a trade unionist. Then they came for the Jews,
and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a Jew. Then they came for me
and there was no one left to speak out for me."

The attack on all of our fundamental rights is astounding, but the push to do away with freedom of religion is frightening. With religion follows all others. I am not a part of any "camp" I am more of a, live and let live person. However I think mass education and peaceful demonstrations would be the best way to show that ALL religions, besides fundamental christianity, can coexist and are not the work of "Satan"
I have family participating in the DC-40, because their pastor told them to(Mormons) They do not understand why I, like so many others of different faith, are so off put and concerned about this. I am in NC and would love to get involved in any way. I may be just a few weeks into my year and a day...but your post resonated within me.

Sosanna said...

Thanks for your comment Jes, it must be challenging to know that your family is participating in this. My thoughts are with you. I'm working as a Coordinator on the Hail Columbia site, there isn't much local action where I'm at but you're welcome to follow up there or on Facebook.

Thanks again for your comments
Blessed Be.