Meatless Monday - Eggplant Parmesan

I know you’re afraid, it’s OK.  As a sworn meat eater when hubby and I met I was barely eating lettuce on a sandwich let alone trying anything as fully a “weird” vegetable as Eggplant.  In fact until we met, I had never even tasted it.  So first let’s get acquainted with it.

Eggplant is in the nightshade family.  It’s related to the tomato and the potato.  It has a meaty texture and most often has a purple skin.  This texture makes it a well suited substitute for meat.  It is actually classified as a berry and it does indeed contain seeds. 

Now on to the recipe: (serves 2)



Photo Credit - Renee Olson
Ingredients
1/3 Eggplant sliced
1 Can Tomato Paste
1 Tbsps. Basil (total)
1 Tbsps .  Oregano (total)
1 Tbsps  Garlic Salt (total)
1/3 package dried pasta
2 cups of flour
Salt
Pepper
Egg or milk
Parmesan Cheese
White Cheddar Cheese (optional)

I’m going to outline 3 parts.  The eggplant, the pasta and the sauce separately.

Eggplant

Photo Credit - Renee Olson


Wash and peel one medium sized Eggplant (1/3 usually feeds 2)
Slice about ½ an inch thick

Photo Credit - Renee Olson

Add about 1 ½ cups of oil in a medium frying pan and put on medium high heat
Take 2 cups of flour and add the oregano, the garlic salt and the basil and mix

Photo Credit - Renee Olson


Dredge the eggplant in either milk/egg mixture and then into the flour (for extra thick coating repeat)

Photo Credit - Renee Olson

Place the eggplant slices in the hot oil 

Photo Credit - Renee Olson


Fry until golden brown



Remove and place on a paper towel to drain

Sauce
When I’m almost done with the eggplant slices I start the sauce.
In a small sauce pan empty the content of the organic tomato paste (small)

Photo Credit - Renee Olson


Add ½ teaspoon of oregano
Add ½ teaspoon of garlic powder
Add ½ teaspoon of basil

Photo Credit - Renee Olson



Add 2 of the tomato paste cans of water
Using a whisk stir the mixture adding more water to obtain the consistency required
Salt & Pepper to taste


Pasta

Photo Credit - Renee Olson

About 3 minutes before the final eggplant piece is done I add enough pasta for two to at least a quart of boiling water.  Pasta should be served al dente, or should have a little bite to it when tasted. If you over cook the pasta it will be mushy.

Assembly
Drain the pasta and add it to a plate
Cut a thin slice of the white cheddar from the block of cheese

Photo Credit - Renee Olson


Place it on top of the pasta
Place the fried eggplant slices over the top of the cheese

Photo Credit - Renee Olson


Spoon the sauce over top of the eggplant

Photo Credit - Renee Olson


Sprinkle top with grated Parmesan

Serve immediately as the eggplant will soften quickly

If you want to skip the pasta completely, you can dip the eggplant directly into the sauce and eat.


Namaste & Blessed Be
Sosanna
)O(

2 comments

Salem Witch Child said...

I tried to make something similar to this a few months ago. It didn't go over well. DH wouldn't even taste it. I liked it though.

I didn't fry mine in batter. I used a crock pot to cook it.

Sosanna said...

I've tried the baked kind as well, I didn't care for it because the texture becomes very mushy. When it's fried it sorta fools the brain into thinking, cheese sticks! :) I'm a kid at heart so you gotta fool me to eat my veggies! Thanks for your comment!