Meatless Monday - Making Bread


Today we have a lot of reasons not to make our own bread.  Time is usually the main reason people give for not making their own bread. 
I tried to jot down a few of the ingredients in a loaf of whole wheat bread at the store:

Whole Wheat Flour, Water, Wheat Gluten, High Frustose Corn Syrup, Honey, Molasses, Yeast, Calcium Sulfate, Sodium Stearoyl Lactylate, Ethoxylated Mono and Diglycerides, Calcium Dioxide,…
woah woah too much stuff.

As we know if a product has things in it that I can’t pronounce usually I don’t eat it.  Eli and I have been spending about 4.00 a loaf on organic artisan bread from the local market.  I decided to try to make my own.  This is what I came up with.

Photo Credit - Renee Olson


Ingredients
6 cups of flour
3 cups of lukewarm water
1 ½ tbsp. of coarse salt
1 ½ tbsp. of granulated yeast
2 tbsp. of finely chopped rosemary (optional)
2 tbsp. of corn meal (cover the cooking pan with)

Process
In an extra large bowl combine all the dry ingredients EXCEPT the corn meal.  The corn meal is used to coat the baking pan so that the bread doesn't stick.

Photo Credit - Renee Olson


Using a sharp knife carefully chop the rosemary.

Photo Credit - Renee Olson

Add the chopped Rosemary to the dry ingredients

Photo Credit - Renee Olson


Add water, I started with 2 ½ and added more as I tested the way the dry ingredients took the water. 


Photo Credit - Renee Olson



Stir together until combined (No dry flour is seen)


Photo Credit - Renee Olson


Cover with plastic wrap for 2 – 5 hours (I let mine sit for 2.5 hours with waxed paper over it, this worked fine) The mixture should double in size

Photo Credit - Renee Olson


Divide the dough in thirds and using more flour in your hands create bread balls (I was able to get four out of my batch)

Photo Credit - Renee Olson

Place on the corn meal coated baking sheet and let rest for 30 minutes

Photo Credit - Renee Olson


Use a sharp knife to cut a X pattern in the top of the loaf
Bake in preheated 450 degree oven for 30-35 minutes

Photo Credit - Renee Olson


Cool on a baking rack

Photo Credit - Renee Olson

Slice and serve

This bread could be used in the place of the store bought brand in my Grilled Cheese recipe found here, or toasted up with a nice five bean soup.


Namaste & Blessed Be
Sosanna
)O(

4 comments

Salem Witch Child said...

I love making my own bread. I keep it simple though. My bread is just Yeast, sugar, flour and a little oil. Sometimes I'll get creative and add other things, but not usually.

I haven't used the corn meal trick. I'll have to try that some time.

Gemmi Fuchsbau said...

I'm inspired! Once upon a time I made bread twice a week, and I just noticed the crazy price of good bread on the weekend when I went to the store. Tonight's magic will be the magic of Carbon Dioxide bubbles from little yeasties! Maybe I should also drink champagne while I bake.

I am so impressed at your gorgeous loaves, BTW. It took me a long time to get loaves that nice. (this seems vaguely rude, doesn't it? Hey Mama... Nice loaves!)
G

Sosanna said...

LOL! Cheers for the best all time comment on a Meatless Monday Post! I love it!

Stephanie said...

I love rosemary bread. It is so good. Thanks for sharing. I will have to make my own now.