Pagan Blog Project 2013 - B is for Black Magic


Black Magic is defined as using supernatural powers for the exercise of evil, to attack white magic or draw power from purely evil sources.

Synonyms: witchcraft, sorcery, magic and necromancy




As a child I remember as early as six or seven that you could indeed be a Good Witch or a Bad Witch. By the definition, even "White Witches" or "Fluffy Bunnies" are still practicing black magic.

I used to be one of those “rainbows and unicorns” (also known as fluffy bunnies) witch myself.  I believed that no matter what I should never send out anything negative or harmful to others.  I thought that I wasn't able to defend or protect myself because it would return that energy back to me times three.

This is a video I found on Youtube about fluffy bunnies or fluffy bunny witches.



Over the last few years I've had a changing view of the magical world.  I've learned that if I cast a spell to help one person get a job, I’m also casting a spell that makes another not get the job.  The universe isn't as black and white as some like to think it is.

I believe that all energy out in the universe is in balance.  Light cannot exist without dark.  If you have never been in pain, you won’t appreciate feeling good.  I think that it is important to also note that some types of things are considered black, dark or evil simply because they are not understood fully. 

Many Goddesses such as Kali, Morrighan, Cerridwen and Hecate are considered “Dark Goddesses”.  To me these Goddesses portray a strength and perseverance that is unmatched by other deities.  From being a supreme war goddess to the holder of the keys to the underworld a Dark Goddess is indeed a strong one.

I light my candles and say my chants to the Goddess Hecate.  I ask for her wisdom to guide me through my life.  I take pride in the fact that even before she called me I was already living as many of her devotees lived.  As I embraced her I've been able to strengthen many of the gifts that I felt were always there for me.

I've started calling that dark energy in to assist with issues in the lives of others.  I've seen my art grow leaps and bounds since my dedication to her.



So to me, I don’t believe there is an underlying “evil” nature to Dark Magic.  It is when done correctly even so called Black Magic has its place.  On the next dark moon, pull out your candles and embrace the darker side of life.





Namaste & Blessed Be
Sosanna
)O(

2 comments

Gemmi Fuchsbau said...

I agree. Breaking magic up into good and bad seems like breaking food up into tasty and not tasty. It's always both!

Stephanie said...

I love this post. :)