Pagan Blog Project 2013 - B is for Bell



Bell - [bel]  (source)
Noun
1. A hollow instrument of cast metal, typically cup-shaped with a flaring mouth, suspended from the vertex and rung by the strokes of a clapper, hammer, or the like.
2. The stroke or sound of such an instrument: We rose at the bell.
3. Anything in the form of a bell.
4. The large end of a funnel, or the end of a pipe, tube, or any musical wind instrument, when its edge is turned out and enlarged.
5. Architecture - the underlying part of a foliated capital.

Bells are used in many religions around the world.  From Christianity to Wicca and many in between the religious use of bells is extremely common.

A singing bowl is a type of bell that can be used in rituals and meditations.




It is said to be a feminine symbol and is commonly used to invoke the Goddess in rituals.  It can be used to single the four quarters and to call the watch towers or the elements.  Some groups use it as a way to start a banishing ritual to remove negativity from the area.  The sound of the ringing bell is thought to ward off the evil/negative in an area.

Personally I have bells all around my house.  
Photo Credit - Renee Olson


My door knobs have bells and my office has wind chimes thought out.  

I have bells outside my windows and when I’m on conference calls my co-workers ask, where are you, it sounds lovely there?

Photo Credit - Renee Olson


Hubby and I even have a bell on our motorcycle.  Bikers believe that “gremlin bells” protect the biker from harm, the sound of the bell wards off negativity and protects the rider from accidents.

In my rites to Hecate one of the best chants I've heard uses bells within it. It is really amazing.




And of course...  in the religion we call LOVE






Namaste & Blessed Be
Sosanna

3 comments

Alexis Kennedy said...

Love this! Funny, I was taught that the bell was masculine because of the internal clapper. Great songs too! Thank you for sharing!

Sosanna said...

I always used the bell as element of air, but I couldn't find anything on it, only thing on the web I found was it was used to open/close circles or "call the Goddess" at they put it. :P

Gemmi Fuchsbau said...

I love your blog and have decided to give you the Liebster Award.

You can read about the award and how to accept it here on my blog page Walk the Circle. Congratulations! I want lots of people to enjoy your blog the way I do.
love, Gemmi