Hail Tennessee!

Heading DC40 off at the pass, I'm headed right into the great state of Tennessee! Have something you'd like to share? Leave your notes here or head over to our Facebook Group called "What Makes Your State Great?".

As always I get most of my facts from 50sates.com. How here we go!

Hail Tennessee!


There are more horses per capita in Shelby County than any other county in the United States.


Greeneville has the only monument in the United States honoring both the Union and Confederate armies. It is located on the lawn of the Green County Courthouse.

The Tennessee Aquarium is the largest facility of its kind to focus on fresh water habitat. It features 7,000 animals and 300 species of fish, birds, reptiles, amphibians, and mammals.


The Great Smoky Mountains National Park is the most visited national park in the United States. The park was named for the smoke-like bluish haze that often envelops these fabled mountains.




The Cherokee silversmith, Sequoyah, was the only known man in the history of the world to single-handedly develop an alphabet. His syllabus for the Cherokee Nation resulted in the first written language for a Native American people. The Sequoyah Birthplace Museum in Vonore tells his story and is dedicated to the history and culture of Native Americans.





The original inhabitants of Tennessee were:

The Cherokee tribe
The Chickasaw tribe
The Koasati tribe
The Quapaw tribe
The Shawnee tribe
The Yuchi tribe

I found this Cherokee Morning Song on youtube.



Tracing my heritage I have recently discovered a reference to the term Mulatto in a census record for my Great Great Great Grandfather. In discussing this with a Native American group I belong to apparently this term was used to describe any dark skinned people. I have always felt deeply connected to the Cherokee tribe. I have no evidence, no proof, no documents or papers. Only a feeling.

Remember we need to understand the past so we do not repeat it. Sending light and love to the great state of Tennessee!

Namaste & Blessed Be.

Sosanna
)O(

1 comment

Flame said...

I love that you include facts about Native Americans. The "White" side of my family is a good part Native. My mother is 1/16. Apparently long ago, like in the early 1900s, being Native was considered just as bad as being Black, so people that were mixed would hide it if they could.