Hail Vermont!

This morning we're heading out to the great state of Vermont! If you'd like to join the discussion please leave your comments here or head over to the Facebook Group "What Makes Your State Great?". There is a lively discussion that I'm sure you won't want to miss.

As always my facts come from 50states.com.

An we're off!


Hail Vermont!!



Vermont was the first state admitted to the Union after the ratification of the Constitution. Lots of information can be found at the Vermont Historical Society.



Montpelier, Vermont is the only U.S. state capital without a McDonalds.



In ratio of cows to people, Vermont has the greatest number of dairy cows in the country. Ben & Jerry's Ice Cream company gives their ice cream waste to the local Vermont farmers who use it to feed their hogs. The hogs seem to like all of the flavors except Mint Oreo. My favorite is Phish Food. Recently the ice cream company came under fire for releasing a new flavor called "Schweddy Balls" to it's icream line up.








The original inhabitants of Vermont were:

The Abenaki tribe
The Mohican tribe
The Massachusett tribes (Pennacook and Pocomtuc)

I found this video on the Abernaki on Youtube.



I get concerned when I share these videos because of some of the comments on the video itself. I see comments that say "Damn White People Want to be native" and "Those are not real "insert tribe here", those are wannabe natives". I see other comments that say, "Don't look at us as a history lesson, we are people". I'm very confused by the statements. If white people want to learn about the culture, they are wrong. If they don't want to learn, they're wrong. If they take an interest and try to participate, they're "stealing culture". I can only shake my head and say this, why is it so wrong to try to be respectful and learn about others. If we as a nation spent more time learning about our fellow people, there would be less violence that occurs due to ignorance.

Religion for example has been the cause of the suffering and murder of millions and millions. Simply stopping to understand that when I light my candle and cast my gaze out across the ocean, I am not worshiping something that others call demonic. I am simply paying my respects to the waters that feed our land. Not too much different than another praying before a meal.

My hopes is that in putting this information out there, someone can see it, take and show it to others and in turn make all of us a more understanding, caring people.

Namaste & Blessed Be!
Sosanna
)O(

2 comments

Flame said...

Oh sweetie, the comments under YouTube videos will drive you crazy. I usually don't even read them.

Alexis Kennedy said...

I totally understand where you're coming from, Renee on the learning the ways of the indigenous cultures here. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. My advice is to honor the spirits of the land, regardless of what anyone says. They appreciate it, no matter who you are.