Pagan Blog Project 2012 – V is for Values



Values are something that we are hearing a great deal about during this election year.  Generally when you hear the term you can pretty much believe that what the speaker is trying to explain is how the feel about a particular subject.  You can also get a sense of their belief in other things such as fairness, equality and personal responsibility just by the use of the word values.

For example, one of the most redundant words in my opinion is “Family Values”.  We've all heard this phase uttered by hundreds of politicians’ preachers and even fast food chains.  A quick search on Google shows us that “Family Values” are something embraced by the Conservatives and often refers to the “nuclear family” and the times associated with it.  A Mother staying at home, 3.2 children and the suburbs.

In some of the LGBT communities the term “family” means something different entirely.  Often used as slang the term “Family” here indicates someone who is in the “LGBT” family.  Usually used to maintain a since of privacy about his or her closet status.  The term is also used here in the same context as a term of endurance.  Meaning he/she is as close to me as family.  Some LGBT are disowned by their family so replacing this missing element with a Family of choice is in itself a Value.

Other type of Family value is that old adage “Blood is thicker than water.”   I've heard this term used many many times.  I've heard it from my own family and from strangers.  To me, I’m not sure I really understand this particular use.  In reading the statement and understanding the meaning of the words it seems to propose that no matter the treatment you get from your “Family” they will always be family and therefore should be free of any judgment or personal responsibility for their actions.  To me… this makes no sense at all. 

Why should my mother, brother or sister be able to get away with treating me like crap but a stranger?  Well that’s a whole different story… UMMM yeah, in my opinion you don’t get a free pass just because we shared a vagina.  Just saying.

So now I have to look at myself.  What are my values?

I value friendship and love over blood lines. 
I value actions more than words.  You can speak all day long but “SHOW ME” what you’re about. 
I value a sense of community and belonging. 
I value honesty and sincerity.
I value saying what you mean, not what you think others WANT to hear, or WANT you to say. 
I value equality; rights are not granted, but endowed.  As we live and breathe we have the right to enjoy life and pursue our dreams without being told we are not worthy by those in power positions.
I value freedom.  We are all free to be just as big a jackass as we want; we are also free to be loving compassionate people, which the world needs more of.



I believe the statement that sums up what I value best would be the following:
"I honor the place within you where the entire Universe resides; I honor the place within you of love, of light, of truth, of peace; I honor the place within you, where, when you are in that place in you, and I am in that place in me, there is only one of us."


So what are your values?  What do you hold dear?



Namaste & Blessed Be
Sosanna
)O(





No comments