Meatless Monday - Falafel



The majority of my life I was exposed only to “southern cooking”.  I had never tried any other food types until I was in my twenties.  The most exotic thing I had ever tried was General Tso’s Chicken at the local buffet.

When I moved to California, my culinary life bombarded with all sorts of new and exciting dishes.  I tried cuisines from all around the world.  Japan, France, Taiwan and India were the new exotic destinations on my journey.  When I saw some of the names, Hummus and Falafel for example my brain screamed, “DON’T EAT THAT!” 

I’m so glad I didn't listen.  I've moved back to North Carolina now and the closest real Falafel to me is an hour away.  So I have to sometimes break my “no processed foods” rule and pick up a pack of falafel from the store.  Veggie Patch makes a great Falafel that you just pop in the oven and heat through.

So what is Falafel anyway?
A falafel is a deep-fried (yep stole my southern heart) ball made from ground chickpeas served usually in a pita topped with greens and sauce and is from the Middle East.

Here’s my variation on the dish

Photo Credit - Renee Olson


Sometimes when I don’t have pita, I’ll use a tortilla instead; warm the bread you’ll be using.

Photo Credit - Renee Olson


I go ahead and pop the falafel  in the oven while making the sauce.


Photo Credit - Renee Olson

I use about a 1/3 of a cucumber chopped finely and add it to my Greek yogurt as well as my dill.

Photo Credit - Renee Olson

Instead of lettuce I use spinach; it’s much better for you than lettuce. Plus a bit of tomato.

Photo Credit - Renee Olson


Assemble!

Photo Credit - Renee Olson




Finally add the falafel and enjoy!

What new foods have you tried that you were first afraid of and now love?? 

Namaste & Blessed Be!
Sosanna

No comments